cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Link Read Range and Antenna Size

amighri
Contributor II

Hi NXP, 

We are trying to improve the read range of the NTAG 5 Link. Can we do that through designing a new antenna for the Tag ? What link between Antenna Size of the tag and reading range and how can be that optimized ? 

When we read ISO15693 we find that the card dimensions ( Antenna size dimensions ) are specified as following : 

sizes Dimensions ID- 1:

85.6 × 53.98 mm 

But the Ntag 5 link has a different dimensions 54 x 27 mm 

How would that be explained ? What standard is followed by NXP when developping the NTAG 5 ? 

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
3 Replies

Fabian_R
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello sir,

My apologies for the delay in answering, Regarding this topic: It's not just the antenna size sir, but the tunning. The impedance of the antenna has to be optimized to reach its minimum value. The transference of energy between Reader and Tag has to be manually tuned to achieve an almost-similar frequency to the carrier. This will ensure that the design of the PCD is able to communicate with the PICC with less signal loss. This can only be achieved by tweaking the Inductance and Capacitance of both Reader and Tag. We are unable to provide a straight value because a lot of physical variables come in place. Unfortunately, the only documentation we can recommend is our antenna design Application Notes. But as I mentioned in another case, our Development kits aren't able to communicate with each other at distances longer than 10 cm.

Best Regards,
Fabian
0 Kudos

amighri
Contributor II

Dear @Fabian_R 

Thank you for your answer.

We are now using a long range reader which provide a longer range. But we want to study if the Operating distance can be improved/influenced when we change the Size of the NTAG Antenna. We really want to use the NTAG because it's functionnality (GPIO,PWM, Energy Harvesting ..) but we can't find any documentation online for the NTAG that can help us calculate these values (backword methode : from distance to the antenna size or shape). The App Notes are more about the tunning of ready antennas than how should be the antenna designed. For example in one of the app notes there were mentionned that the ntag antenna can have different shapes but the reason behind these shapes is not listed. For exmple does a circular shape better than a rectangular. 

Thanks 

0 Kudos

Fabian_R
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello sir,

I'm very sorry for this but,

We can only provide the information that is in AN12339, wherein section 2 it is mentioned the antenna sizes and usages, depending on the class your design is aiming for.

The circular shape vs. the rectangular. Doesn't mean that one is better that the other but the antenna inductance.

But, as I mentioned earlier, the measurement of the real prototype is extremely necessary.

We do recommend using the NFC Antenna Design tool but, only as a guide. The fine-tuning will help you achieve a larger reading distance.

I'm very sorry sir, but we don't have any official documentation for larger distances using NTAG 5 boost.

Best Regards,
Fabian
0 Kudos