Lighted RFID tag

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lighted RFID tag

drubin
Contributor I

For my project I am using an MFRC522 PCD to read mifare PICC's.   I now need an enhanced PICC that has an LED that can indicate an on/off 'state'.   Can a custom PICC be created with a battery and LED that uses the Mifare protocol such that the same mfrc522 PCD can read both 'plain' mifare tags and the custom tag?

0 Kudos
5 Replies

drubin
Contributor I

Thanks for the reply.    I don't need energy harvesting capability to power an LED, as in my application the LED needs to stay lit when the reader is out of proximity.   I need a custom tag that has it's own battery that powers the LED.  The reader should be able to trigger the lighting of the LED.   I know no such tags exist out of the box for this ( or at least I don't think so ), but I was wondering what components/protocols I would need to use to create such a tag.  There are no special security requirements for this application.   Can NXP help with the fabrication?

0 Kudos

Fabian_R
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

I'm very sorry but, NXP only provides the ICs. Is possible to use one of these two options:
https://www.nxp.com/products/rfid-nfc/nfc-hf/ntag-smartsensor/nhs3100-starter-kit-for-temperature-mo...
Which can be used with a battery and, can drive an LED or the LPC8N04 which is an M0 MCU with the NFC interface.

https://www.nxp.com/products/processors-and-microcontrollers/arm-microcontrollers/general-purpose-mc...

Best Regards,
Fabian
0 Kudos

drubin
Contributor I

Thanks again for your help.  Do any of the Type 2 tags in the connected tag family have a GPIO/GPO pin?  

0 Kudos

Fabian_R
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello sir,

Among all of the NFC-connected tags we offer, the only IC that does have GPIOs is the NTAG 5 switch.

Best Regards,
Fabian
0 Kudos

Fabian_R
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

Thank you very much for using our products!

Is there any specific reason you want to use the MIFARE protocol? We have different products that may fill your requirements. Please check our Connected tags. Both NTAG I2C and NTAG 5 are able to harvest power to power either LCD, sensors, LEDs, or a battery.

NTAG 5 Link and NTAG 5 boost feature AES mutual authentication, which has an extra layer for security that you may look at with MIFARE.

None of our MIFARE chips, don't have any other pins besides the antenna. This is for security reasons.

Best Regards,
Fabian
0 Kudos