Debugger/Programmer for JN5189 MCU

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debugger/Programmer for JN5189 MCU

Kunal_Gettobyte
Contributor II

I am working on a personal project. Making a custom Eval Board based on NXP wireless MCU. So decided to use the JN5189 Wireless MCU for Zigbee® and Thread | NXP Semiconductors IC because of its availability and cheapness. On the Eval Board will be having motion tracking sensors, Wi-Fi Module, and an SD Card module interfaced to JN5189 MCU. I have at this point some questions related to JN5189 MCU Programming & Debugging.

1. How to debug and flash the JN5189 as a standalone IC. That is we are not planning to have an on-board debugger on the Eval Board. We are making a Standalone circuit of JN5189 IC and connecting its peripheral pins with external sensors and modules. So is there any external debugger available for JLN5189 IC for debugging and programming it? Like STM32F103C8T6 Blue Pill Development Board Pinout, Specs, Equivalent & Datasheet (components101.com) blue pill is there, which has ST-LINK/V2 - ST-LINK/V2 in-circuit debugger/programmer for STM8 and STM32 - STMicroelectronicsas external Debugger.
  2. On searching over JN5189 IC docs, I found out there is a debugger MCU Link JTAG/SWD Debug Probe | NXP Semiconductors which is used as an external debugger for NXP MCU. So can it also be used with JN5189 MCU? If yes so directly connecting the SWD pins of JN5189 with this debugger makes it work.
0 Kudos
1 Reply

Julián_AragónM
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @Kunal_Gettobyte,

1. The JN5189 is supported by PEMicros's debuggers and in-circuit programming tools. Here you can find the device information and programming algorithm for internal flash programming.

You can also look into this guide to debug utilizing PEMicros' tools and MCUXpresso.

1. Yes, the MCU Link debugger is compatible with the SWD connections.

Another option is the flash programmer tool, please look into this getting started guide to locate the flash programmer installer.

I hope you find this helpful!

Best regards, Julián

0 Kudos