Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

88w9098 sleep with TWT

Jump to solution
javadR3
Contributor III

Hi,

I am  testing TWT feature with 88W9098 chip. I send a TWT setup packet with a wake interval about 8 secs and get the AP's response which is ACCEPT.

Request:

javadR3_1-1705426461640.png

Response:

javadR3_2-1705426486313.png

It seems AP and STA have agreed on a schedule. So afterwards I expect STA goes to sleep for 8 secs(no traffic) and then wakes up for a while(some packet exchanges) and so on, but I don't see such a pattern in the traffic of STA. In fact there is no changes before and after sending TWT packet. I assume firmware is not doing anything upon getting ACCEPT from AP.

I am using a custom yocto based linux running on IMX8 and firmware/driver version is as follow:

PCIE9098--17.68.1.p136.32-MXM5X17366.p16-GPL-(FP68)

Am I missing something or low power mode with TWT is not supported by this firmware/chip?

Regards,

Javad

0 Kudos
1 Solution
javadR3
Contributor III

Hi @shaun_wu

I found the issue. I was trying to send twt_setup command via wpa_cli(which sends a command to wpa_supplicant) not mlanutl.

Basically what wpa_supplicant is doing, is sending an action frame and nothing else. So I assume firmware would take it as a data packet, send it to the destination and return the response, nothing more would be done. 

Using mlanutil, a command(0x0270) would be send to firmware. Probably some stuffs including sanding/receiving twt_setup packets are being done.

Here is the result using mlanutil.

TWT.png

Regard,

Javad

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
javadR3
Contributor III

Hi @shaun_wu,

Actually I tried with these two cases:

1. ps_mode=2 and auto_ds=2 
  2. ps_mode=1 and auto_ds=1 

UPDATE: I am using wpa_cli(NETLINK) to send twt setup packet. Seems there is a difference between using mlanutl and NETLINK.

Regards,

Javad

0 Kudos
javadR3
Contributor III

Hi @shaun_wu

I found the issue. I was trying to send twt_setup command via wpa_cli(which sends a command to wpa_supplicant) not mlanutl.

Basically what wpa_supplicant is doing, is sending an action frame and nothing else. So I assume firmware would take it as a data packet, send it to the destination and return the response, nothing more would be done. 

Using mlanutil, a command(0x0270) would be send to firmware. Probably some stuffs including sanding/receiving twt_setup packets are being done.

Here is the result using mlanutil.

TWT.png

Regard,

Javad

0 Kudos
shaun_wu
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello @javadR3 

Could you add ps_mode=2 and auto_ds=2 to disable power save mode then try again?

After 8 seconds, do AP send trigger frame to sta?

Best Regards

Shaun

0 Kudos