cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the purpose of PAMU if we use only single core in T2081

manishraturi
Contributor I

Hi Team,

I am new to the community and new to T-series processors. I would like to know the purpose of PAMU.

Thanks & Regards

Manish Raturi

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

bpe
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

PAMU is an analog of MMU, but for peripherals which can act as transaction initiators on the internal bus.

It isolates one bus master from another, restricting their memory access to areas defined by software.

PAMU is necessary for virtualization, if there is a requirement that virtual machines: (a) Utilise DMA-enabled

peripherals; (b) have to run in  isolated and controlled memory areas.

Even if you are going to use a single core, but wish to run several virtual machines, which can share

the core, but need to be isolated from one another in memory, PAMU may still be necessary.

If your application does not require virtualization, you can leave PAMU intact.

Refer to T2080RM, Chapter 11 for more information.

Have a great day,
Platon

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

scottwood
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Without virtualization, the PAMU still plays a minor role, as it is required to enable DPAA stashing.

0 Kudos