cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S32K146 64 pin package configuring clocks

erikvk
Contributor I

Hi

I am starting up with the supplied examples from NXP (freertos_s32k146) to run on a custom board with a S32K146 64 pin MCU. But the MCU jumps to the defaultisr when it tries to configure the clocks with the NXP supplied function `CLOCK_SYS_UpdateConfiguration(0U, CLOCK_MANAGER_POLICY_AGREEMENT);`. Insted I enable the clocks for the PORTs directly with: `PCC-> PCCn[PCC_PORTC_INDEX] = PCC_PCCn_CGC_MASK;` (for each port that I am using). And removed the CAN set up function calls. Then I will get the LEDs to light up and blink. The unmodified example works as intended on the development board with the larger package (S32K146EVB-Q144, 144pins). Are the example projects supposed to work with the other packages for the MCU S32K146 or is it just the one version on the EVB that is supported?

Br

Erik

0 Kudos
3 Replies

erikvk
Contributor I

Hi,

Thank you for your answer. I have tested the simpler example of "Hello world" platform both on the evaluation board (144 pins) and our custom (64 pin) and I get the same issue as before. I use the default configuration for the clock, using the internal crystal oscillator see picture. But the 64pin MCU still stops when trying to configure the clocks. As I understands there should be no difference between the two packages except the amount of pins or does the two different MCU need different clock configurations? I should add that the custom board have a 16Mhz crystal

Br

0 Kudos

Julián_AragónM
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @erikvk,

No additional configuration should be needed for different packages. This may be a hardware error instead, please help me check chapter 3.2 of the Hardware Design Guidelines for suggestions for the PCB layout of oscillator circuit.

Best regards,
Julián

0 Kudos

Julián_AragónM
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @erikvk.,

The examples provided in the packages are only tested with the hardware mentioned, and modifications may be needed if the package includes modifications in pins (or memory/peripherals, etc.).

My suggestion is to test the "hello_world" example from the S32K1xx SDK for the S32K146, since this is a simple application created to act as a template project for S32 Design Studio. If this example still has issues when configuring the clocks, it may point to a hardware design issue.

In that case, you can take a look into the Hardware Design Guidelines for any proofing of the design. Chapter 3 specifically describes the clock circuitry.

Best regards,
Julián