get memory size of each individual file using compiler flags in s32 design studio ide

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

get memory size of each individual file using compiler flags in s32 design studio ide

sanjay645
Contributor I

Hello, I need memory usage of seperate .c source files of my project, is there any compiler or linker setting where i can provide the flag in s32 design studio ide, that will print memory usage of each file in output after building the project?

sanjay645_0-1702558523900.png

I used this flag but its providing me full memory usage of individual section, but i want the memory usage of each .c file individually

0 Kudos
6 Replies

johnrusso
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

No, the capability to get individual file sizes does not exist in Design Studio or the compiler tools.

But let me suggest a work-around (not supported or endorsed by NXP, however): 

1. Create a map file from the linker of your linked project (check the linker settings panel)

2. Use 'linkermap'  linkermap 

You'll get a listing something like this:

linkermap cdc_msc.elf.map
                                              File |   .text   .data    .bss   Total
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                        msc_disk.o |    8192       1     313    8506
                                            usbd.o |      24     257    2820    3101
                                       dcd_nrf5x.o |       0     220    2678    2898
                                      msc_device.o |       0     576    2050    2626
                                            libc.a |    1072      33     696    1801
                                      cdc_device.o |       0     312    1044    1356
                                       tusb_fifo.o |       0       0    1142    1142
                                      nrfx_uarte.o |       0      36     800     836
                                    usbd_control.o |       0      84     516     600

which is probably what you're looking for.

Hope it helps.

Daniel-Aguirre
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

We seem to understand that the command should be the following:

"--print-memory-usage"

And the following description is provided under the GCC linker manual:

"Print used size, total size and used size of memory regions created with the
Section 3.7 [MEMORY], page 71 command. This is useful on embedded targets
to have a quick view of amount of free memory."

There is also another command that might proof useful for your application:

DanielAguirre_0-1702577091941.png

This information is available under the following path:

"C:/nxp/S32DS.3.5/S32DS/build_tools/gcc_v9.2/gcc-9.2-arm32-eabi/arm-none-eabi/share/docs/pdf/ld.pdf"

Where it can vary depending on the versions being used.

We see that this is all the information available from our side, we do apologize if they not proof useful.

As for the specific topic, it seems that this might be a generic C compiler/linker question, not specific to S32DS, hence you might also get useful feedback from the eclipse forum or any C compiler/linker forums. Again, we do apologize for the inconvenience this may cause.

Please, let us know.

0 Kudos

sanjay645
Contributor I

where should i use --stats flag?

0 Kudos

Daniel-Aguirre
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

The flag we mentioned is also related to linker, hence you should be able to use it under the same window as the previous flag you have used.

Please, let us know.

0 Kudos

sanjay645
Contributor I

But I am getting error after building the code:

sanjay645_1-1702996417203.png

/usr/bin/make --no-print-directory main-build
Building target: test.elf
Invoking: Standard S32DS C Linker
arm-none-eabi-gcc -o "test.elf" "@test.args"
c:/nxp/s32ds.3.4/s32ds/build_tools/gcc_v10.2/gcc-10.2-arm32-eabi/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/10.2.0/../../../../arm-none-eabi/bin/real-ld.exe: unrecognized option '--stack-analysis'
c:/nxp/s32ds.3.4/s32ds/build_tools/gcc_v10.2/gcc-10.2-arm32-eabi/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/10.2.0/../../../../arm-none-eabi/bin/real-ld.exe: use the --help option for usage information
collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [makefile:47: test.elf] Error 1
make: *** [makefile:38: all] Error 2
"make -j8 all" terminated with exit code 2. Build might be incomplete.

0 Kudos

Daniel-Aguirre
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

We understand that the flag that was used is not the previously mentioned, is this correct? Were you able to use the --stats flag?

We can also recommend using the --help command, since it should provide the available commands.

Please, let us know.

0 Kudos