Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PowerPC VLE GCC: Sourcecode?

Jump to solution
bastian_schick
Contributor IV

Hi

anyone knows where I can get the sources for the VLE GCC?

Labels (2)
1 Solution
martin_kovar
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

gcc source codes will be available at NXP website in few days.

Regards,

Martin

View solution in original post

17 Replies
jamesmurray
Contributor V

The V1.2 version is requiring a login to download. I don't believe that is in compliance with the GPL. Please fix the website and unlock it.

James

PS. This forum seems broken a bit - if I try to post without being logged in it doesn't work. I get redirected to the login page, but after a successful login, I get an error message and my post is always lost .

0 Kudos
jfrey
Contributor IV

Has anyone gotten a compiler to build from source?

I am trying on Linux however I am getting an error that build_gnu is not a working copy. It appears SVN is trying to checkout from svn.freescale.com which appears to be on your intranet only. 

0 Kudos
nxppower912935
Contributor IV

Hi Jed,

but why building from sources, I mean the S32 pre-compiled compiler, linker, as are OK for a start. Aren't they sufficient spec for you?

Regards

0 Kudos
jfrey
Contributor IV

Ludwig,

They are absolutely OK for a start. I am currently using them to get started.

However I have multiple reasons I would like to compile from source.

1. There are numerous companies that violate the GPL by not releasing source code or releasing source code that doesn't match the binaries they release. I would like to just verify that the sources build and compilers work as intended.
  2. I would like to implement a full toolchain continuous integration server. Part of this will be building the compiler from source to test for regressions.
  3. S32 is very 'heavy' for a novice developer. Looking at it coming from an Industry perspective it is normal. Looking at it coming from an Arduino perspective it is very, very complex and difficult to get started. I would like to see what it would take to release an Arduino IDE that is compatible with the MPC57xx products. I believe it will make it easier to get new developers involved on the platform.

There are also a few other IDEs that I've looked at like EmBitz.
  4. The S32 is only released for 2 platforms and missing 2 large platforms and 1 personal preference (In my opinion).
    1. MacOS X has become very popular for developers in the last decade or so because of it's UNIX base and 'it just works' GUI. There is no S32 compiler built for OS X.
    2. ARM: Embedded ARM devices are everywhere these days. I have quite a few around the house including NXP's own i.MX6 and a few Raspberry Pis. Having access to an cross compiler for the ARM would allow me to use cheap and inexpensive boards as build servers.
    3. FreeBSD: I prefer FreeBSD over Linux for certain servers in my house. I'd like to get a cross tool chain available on FreeBSD.
johntuffen
Contributor I

I realise that this is now an old topic, but google brought me here... Did you have any luck building from source? I am trying to build from source on Windows (under mingw or cygwin, I don't mind) however unpacking the source tarball I see a number of errors ("Cannot create symlink").

The build script tells me this:

fatal: Not a git repository (or any parent up to mount point /)
Stopping at filesystem boundary (GIT_DISCOVERY_ACROSS_FILESYSTEM not set).

...  but I'm not sure why the script should care?!

jfrey
Contributor IV

Nope. It's a home grown compiling solution that likely requires a lot of institutional memory to get working.

I start trying to track down the issues but end up getting distracted, swearing at it, and going back to my Arduino.

0 Kudos
stepank
Contributor I

Yes, I've build it from sources without any problems, but after some dances with tambourine and couple of incarnations. It looks that all sources are here but svn command is just says there is no .svn folder. Major not obvious step is to create env.hostname file

0 Kudos
jfrey
Contributor IV

Stepan K wrote:

after some dances with tambourine and couple of incarnations.

That's what I was thinking it was going to take. 

I only took a quick swing at trying the instructions provided. I was planning on writing some straight forward instructions for beginners.

I'll give NXP an A+ for effort on getting into the open source community. But a C- on implementation.

Hopefully with a free compiler, IDE and $35 devboards I can finally put together some beginner kits at work without risking blowing up $2k+ dev boards. Hopefully it'll also bring a lot of Arduino/ARM people into the e200 fold.

0 Kudos
wan35fr
Contributor III

Hello support team ,

i have the same request.

have you planned to contribute on https://gcc.gnu.org ?

Thank you and  Best regards

Erwan

0 Kudos
martin_kovar
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

gcc source codes will be available at NXP website in few days.

Regards,

Martin

jfrey
Contributor IV

Updates for the new S32 Design Studio gcc binaries?

0 Kudos
nxppower912935
Contributor IV

Hi!

Any updates about the release on NXP website? I haven't searched the site yet. KR

0 Kudos
martin_kovar
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Ludwig,

please click link below and there is toolchain for GCC power architecture:

S32 Design Studio IDE|NXP 

pastedImage_2.png

Regards,

Martin

bastian_schick
Contributor IV

You should add: "Click <More>" to see it.

stepank
Contributor I

Even if NXP have plans to contribute their VLE port to mainstream - it fail with 100% probability. Reality is that GCC will never accept VLE.

0 Kudos
bastian_schick
Contributor IV

Stepan, actually I do not care if VLE will make it upstream. But providing the sources is a must esp. for a port which is not yet mature.

0 Kudos