How to use S32K3 Studio's Trace debugging function, and what debugging tools do I need to purchase?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use S32K3 Studio's Trace debugging function, and what debugging tools do I need to purchase?

Garey
Contributor II

Thank you
Are there any documents or websites that I can learn from? Or a purchase link?

0 Kudos
9 Replies

mikedoidge
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Garey,

Could you please describe in more detail what it is you are looking for? Are you just looking for standard debugger information or are you specifically looking for Trace capabilities? Could you list what specific capabilities you need?

Best Regards,

Mike

Garey
Contributor II

Hi @mikedoidge 

by the way

If I have a SEGGER J-Link, how do I use Studio's SWO Trace to view the MCU? How to configure it?

0 Kudos

Garey
Contributor II

Hi @mikedoidge ,

Thank you for your reply!:) 

I want to use Studio's Trace feature to go to Trace S32K3, do I have to buy PEmicro?

If I want to buy PEmicro, where can I buy it and where are the instructions for use?

If I have J-Trace, how do I configure Studio to Trace MCU?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos

mikedoidge
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Garey,

I'm not exactly sure what you are referring to regarding the Trace debugging function. The S32 Design Studio for S32 Platform contains a Trace Debug feature, which is part of the S32 Debugger. However, the S32 Debugger does not support the S32K3 family. So this tool is not available for your intended use. There are some features of the GDB Debugger provided by P&E Micro and Segger J-Link which might be considered as Trace features, so this is why I am asking you what debugging functions you wish to use so I can more clearly understand what tool(s) to suggest. If you want full Trace capabilities then you might need to use Lauterbach. But please tell me what you need and I can help to identify if there are other debuggers which will work for you.

Best Regards,

Mike

Garey
Contributor II

Hello, Mike

Thanks for your reply! @mikedoidge 

I should have attached pictures to let you know what my problem is

1. I want to read the ETF-Embedded trace FIFO (Trace Buffer) of S32K3. If I bought Segger J-LINK how can I use S32K3 Studio to read the Trace Buffer?
  2. Does P&E Micro support the Trace function shown in the figure below? If it is supported, is there an instruction manual for 32K3 Studio?
  3. How can I use S32K3 Studio to read ETM data if I buy Segger J-Trace?

trace

0 Kudos

mikedoidge
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Garey,

S32DS doesn't have direct support for the Segger J-Trace, however there is one possibility to do it through the use of IAR’s support for J-Trace.

We haven't tested our tools on this method but we have all of the required support in place. Here is the link to the Segger article:

https://www.segger.com/products/debug-probes/j-link/technology/ides/iar-ewarm/using-trace-with-eclip...

Note: IAR C-SPY native application works only with the IAR compiler. This limitation is forced by IAR’s ecosystem. It can be bypassed by manually configuring a C-SPY launcher(involves text editing) – useful for GCC toolchain projects. If you have an IAR license(compiler) and can work using IAR it would help to enable J-Trace more easily.

Best Regards,

Mike

0 Kudos

Garey
Contributor II

Hi, Mike

Thanks for your reply! @mikedoidge 

Does P&E Micro support the Trace in S32DS? Is there an instruction manual for S32K344 P&E Micro Trace if it is supported?

0 Kudos

mikedoidge
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

@juan_see, please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the type of Trace which @Garey is looking for is not supported for S32K3 by PEMicro.

Unfortunately, you will likely need to use Lauterbach for this level of Trace.

Best Regards,

Mike

0 Kudos

juan_see
Contributor III

Hi Mike, PEmicro does not support the ETM trace. 

0 Kudos