cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB Communication beginner

alejuventino
Contributor I

Hi everyone,

I want to discover Freescale Environment and I'm heading to do a simple USB application (switching on/off LED and read 0-1 push button with a little GUI first I think ).

I'm wondering how to start ?

How to select my hardware from the large range of microcontrollers and boards available ?

Of course ones which allow USB protocol but Kinetis L, Kinetis K, ColdFire, MPC ?

On school projects I've used some 8-bits microcontrollers so I'm attracted by trying to develop something with a 16-bits or 32-bits technology this time.

I've only started my searchs so I would be more precise and better informed later.

I'm asking about documentations, personnal methods, links to other topics, tutorials... all things useful from more experimented developers

Thank you for your reading and future contribution .

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

iggi
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

well, a better choice would be 32-bit MCU rather then MCU based 16-bit architecture.

The thing is that there isn't a device within 16-bit S12(X) family which features USB module integrated on chip.

The S12(X) MCU family is mostly used in Automotive application (where you won't find USB communication which is protocol typical for consumer products)

There was one several years ago, the MC9S12UF32, but this product is discontinued.

(ARCHIVED) S12UF: Microcontroller

Eduardo proposed a very good solution for you, the Flexis line, which is 8-bit to 32-bit compatible MCU line.

Moreover, Kinetis family offers many MCUs with USB module, so it is a good solution as well.

Regards,
Ivan

0 Kudos

alejuventino
Contributor I

Thank you both.

My choice is going to be the cheap freedom FRDM-KL25Z so I guess I will use it with the KL25.

My new questioning ( yeah, I'm asking myself to much questions ^^) is how works the interface in OpenSAD ?

Could be possible to exchange some data in real time with the KL25 ? and how ?

I haven't yet looked at it enough, it was to thank you above all.

Have a nice day :smileywink:.

0 Kudos

eduardosuarez
Contributor I

Hello Ale , maybe you can start with the Flexis line, check this:

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=MCF51JM&nodeId=018rH3YTLC00M924B2

0 Kudos