LS1043

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ChienNQ
Contributor II

Hi NXP support team,

Can I connect XFI on LS1043 to SFP+ direcly (without Physical and retimer) ?
Thanks and best regards,

Trend Nguyen 

0 Kudos
1 Solution
June_Lu
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Sorry, LS1046 in the last reply should be LS1043A.

If the FPGA works like the PHY with XFI interface, you could follow the LS1043ARDB(Layerscape LS1043A Reference Design Board | NXP Semiconductors) Aquantia PHY part without Retimer. If you want to use 10GBASE-KR between the FPGA and LS1043A, LS1043A does NOT support 10GBase-KR.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
June_Lu
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

XFI is an electrical specification defined in INF-8077. 

For the FPGA, please assess the XFI SPEC and your requirement.

LS1043A support XFI electrical specs for 10G Enet, XFI (1 lane @ 10.3125 Gbaud)

0 Kudos
June_Lu
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Sorry, LS1046 in the last reply should be LS1043A.

If the FPGA works like the PHY with XFI interface, you could follow the LS1043ARDB(Layerscape LS1043A Reference Design Board | NXP Semiconductors) Aquantia PHY part without Retimer. If you want to use 10GBASE-KR between the FPGA and LS1043A, LS1043A does NOT support 10GBase-KR.

0 Kudos
ChienNQ
Contributor II

Hi @June_Lu ,

Thanks for you support. 

That mean LS1043A can connect drirect to FPGA by XFI interface? Right?

"LS1043A does NOT support 10GBase-KR" I checked page 52  QorIQ LS1043A Reference Manual, Rev. 6, 07/2020, XFI can support  10GbE, can you help me clear this point? 

Trend Nguyen, 

0 Kudos
June_Lu
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

LS1046A does NOT support SFI, but it does support XFI.

So, LS1046A  XFI interface will utilize the ReTimer to make the conversion from XFI to SFI for the SFP+ module. SFI are the electrical specs for the SFP modules to be used in the SFP cage.

0 Kudos
ChienNQ
Contributor II

Hi @June_Lu ,

In our application, we have LS1043 and FPGA. Can we connect them by  XFI port? 

Please see the file attach to clear my question. 

Thanks and best Regards,

Trend Nguyen

0 Kudos
ramprakash07
Contributor III

Yes, you can connect the XFI on LS1043 directly to an SFP+ without a physical layer (PHY) or retimer. However, it's important to note that the LS1043's XFI interface is designed to connect directly to an optical module or a copper cable, but not to a backplane or long copper cable without a retimer.

For the best performance, it's recommended to use a short direct attach copper (DAC) cable or an optical module. If you're using a long copper cable or a backplane, you may need to use a retimer to ensure signal integrity.

ChienNQ
Contributor II

Hi @ramprakash07 '

Thank for your support. 

Can you show me simple blockdiagram connect XFI on LS1043 with another chipset support SFP+?

Thanks and best regards,

Trend Nguyen

0 Kudos