cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is esbc_validate available for Linux?

Jump to solution
tmoos
Contributor III

I want to verify CST-signed files from within a running Linux system. So far I only know of the esbc_validate command on the U-Boot command line, and need such a command/tool on Linux.

Is there a Linux port of the esbc_validate command? Or can the CST be used to verify signatures?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
yipingwang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

The CST tool cannot be used to verify signatures.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
yipingwang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Tanjeff Moos,

The command esbc_validate is used for validating header and signature of images (Boot Script, Linux Kernel, rootfs and device tree blob).

Please refer to the following procedure for secure boot

1. ISBC code would validate the ESBC code(u-boot).
2. On successful validation, ESBC code(u-boot) would run, which would then validate the boot script(with esbc_validate command).
3. On successful validation of boot script, commands in boot script would be executed.
4. The boot script contains esbc_validate commands to validate next level images, i.e rootfs, linux uImage and device tree.
5. Once all the images are validated, bootm command in boot script would be executed which would pass control to linux.

If you only want to sign a file and verify the signature, you could use OpenSSL.

Please refer to https://eclipsesource.com/blogs/2016/09/07/tutorial-code-signing-and-verification-with-openssl/ .

Thanks,

Yiping

0 Kudos
tmoos
Contributor III

In particular I want to verify a file which was signed using uni_sign.

We have a device which allows firmware updates using a web interface. For secure boot, the new firmware (which is a Linux FIT image) needs to be signed, of course. To prevent installing an invalid image to flash, the web server shall verify the signature before installation.

For this scenario I need a verification tool running in Linux which can verify uni_sign signatures. Of course, this shall include verification of the public key against the SRK hash in the fuse box.

I managed to extract the pubkey from the CST header (which is easy) and to calculate its hash using "openssl dgst -sha256 srk.pub". I can compare this hash against the SRK hash in the fuse. However, I cannot use it for OpenSSL (the format is not recognized). So I could use a little help, e.g. some OpenSSL example commands or documentation about the exact pubkey and signature formats within the CST headers. Or is it possible to verify signatures using CST?

0 Kudos
yipingwang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

The CST tool cannot be used to verify signatures.

0 Kudos
tmoos
Contributor III

My solution is to write a tool (in C) which uses OpenSSL to verify the signature. The following details may be of interest to people facing the same problem:

• I read the SRK hash from the fuse box by reading the /dev/mem file. Be aware that large file support is needed, because the registers (and their offset within /dev/mem) are above 4 GiB.
  • The pubkey offset and length are in the CSF header. I used SHA256_Init()/SHA256_Update()/SHA256_Final() to calculate its hash.
  • The CSF header contains only the N (first 128 bytes of pubkey) and E (last 8 bytes of pubkey) parts of the public key. These are converted to BIGNUM (using BN_bin2bn()), then stored in the RSA object. Then, this RSA object can be used as public key.
  • The signature can be verified using the RSA object, using RSA_verify(). The type is NID_sha256.
  • The image hash is calculated using SHA256_Init()/SHA256_Update()/SHA256_Final(). The hash is calculated over the CSF header (first 0x50 bytes), the public key (as stored in the CSF header) and the actual image.

So my problem is solved now. Thanks for the support!

0 Kudos