Can I Integrate IAR EW with PE Design Suite?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I Integrate IAR EW with PE Design Suite?

DaveTonyCook
Contributor IV

Hi

Can I? or should I?

The more I look into the different options open to me the more confused I get and I'm sure I'm not alone. But first a bit of background.

I want to know the best and most efficient way to start my project.  I have 32Kb of software collateral that I'm about to port to a Kinetis device from an H8S.

• The RTOS on the H8S is Nucleus Plus £xxxxx so I've opted for a very close cousin ThreadX £xxxx
  • I've also gone for the IAR EW toolchain as it supports ThreadX
  • Since I'm porting from the H8S I'm going to have to rewrite my drivers (amongst other things)

Enter PE DS... Now this looks like a gift :smileylaugh: I want to leverage the automatic code generation provided by PE and integrate it with my project.  I can create my peripheral drivers using PE and then import them into IAR EW build and there you have it. If I want to cut the cord between my project and PE so that my IAR project and it's source code are completely stand alone then I can follow AN4769.  I think this will allow for better software configuration management and maintenance moving forward ie not having to maintain two tool sets and projects etc.

Now the confusion..

My options for a completely Integrated Development Environment are :

1. KDS. This integrates KSDK,PE and runs under Kelper with ARM GCC.  Could I integrate my IAR toolchain with this.... tried it and... yes you can but no you can't.  Whilst there is a plug in to kelper you cant get KDS/PE to run the IAR tools?

2. PE DS. This integrates with KSDK (as of the 17th August. See announcement) and runs under kelper.  loaded the IAR plugin and it work well. However, when it comes to integrating ThreadX with the project I will need to modify the startup.s file which I cant find?

3. Vanilla Eclipse Kelper. I put this together with all the plugins, IAR,PE,Eclox,SVN etc and works great although I need a more powerful PC !  :smileysad:  The debugger is slow to launch and I really miss the restart button.

The last two give me both Eclipse and IAR Tools but which out of 2 & 3 are the best?  Or should I stick to the IAR EW and just import the PE xml file at least I can see the start-up files?

Thanks

Dave

1 Reply

marek_neuzil
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Dave,

If you want to use the second options (and you use Kinetis SDK library and the Processor Expert in the project; the IAR ARM C Compiler is selected) you can find the startup.s files in the SDK/platform/startup/<derivative name>/iar/startup_<derivative name>.s folder in the Project Explorer. See below.

PEx DS  - startup_XXXXXX.s files.GIF.gif

Please note that when Standalone version of the project is created you can modify all static files of the project without impact on other project (all files are copied into the project). See the option in the New Project Wizard in the screenshot below.

PEx DS - Project with SDK and Standalone.png

Best Regards,

Marek Neuzil