cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPI doesn't work on my custom P4080 board

eminkoc
Contributor I

Hello everyone,

I have a custom p4080 board and I haven't got the CodeWarrior TAP yet.

I wanted to try out the board with some different RCW binaries. The RCW source is a 8MB eeprom attached to the SPI. Local bus is not routed out on the board.

I scoped the SPI signals as I powered up the board but there is no logical movement on the SPI signals(MISO, MOSI, CS, CLK all quiet). Something goes wrong so that the RESET_REQ# pin goes low(asserted) and the ASLEEP signal goes logic high(I don't know if this is an assertion or deassertion because I am not sure if this signal is active high or active low,the Reference Manual confused me about this.)

I tried both 00100b(16-bit addressing) and 00101b(24-bit addressing) configurations for the SPI interface.

I also tried hard-coded RCW it seemed worked. I didn't get a RESET REQUEST. The ASLEEP signal is turned to low. The thing is  I can't get anything on the CLK_OUT signal either way. Is this behavior of the processor normal?

Does the ASLEEP signal going low mean a successfully completed reset and system ready state?

When I power up the board with a hard-coded RCW the processor draw approximately 4-5Amper more current then when I power up with the SPI as the RCW source. So I assumed that this is because of the PLLs that started by the hard-coded RCW but again I can't see anything on the CLK_OUT pin.

Should I concern?

What could be the problem of the SPI interface?

Thanks in advance

Emin Koç

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

alexander_yakov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

We need to analyze your schematic to debug this. Please enter a service request to Freescale Technical Support and upload your schematic to the "Attachments" section.

0 Kudos

eminkoc
Contributor I

Thank you Alexander, I will do that. Any thoughts about the behavior of the processor when I power it up with a hard-coded RCW?

0 Kudos

marius_grigoras
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

When the RCW is ok, the PASS led should be blue, and the FAIL and ASLEEP leds should be off. Please note that the FAIL led will be red during the power-on, but will turn off after one second.

Regards,

Marius

0 Kudos

eminkoc
Contributor I

Hi Marius,

I think those leds(PASS and FAIL) belong the the P4080DS board and connected to a FPGA. My board is a custom design.

If the ASLEEP led should be off then the processor on my board works fine but still I have no idea why I can't get a clock signal on the CLK_OUT pin(I don't know if I should either).

Thank you

Emin Koç

0 Kudos