NAND flash replacement for P20x0 (internal or HW ECC required)

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NAND flash replacement for P20x0 (internal or HW ECC required)

nilsmagnusnilss
Contributor I

We are looking to replace a Samsung K9K8G08U0D NAND on our custom P2010 board (running linux 2.6.35).

• We need the same footprint as K9K8G08U0D
  • We need to boot from NAND (which we currently do).
  • SW ECC is likely not an option due to performance concerns.

We initially hoped to use Micron MT29F8G08ABABA, but seeing that it:

1. has 4K page size (only 512 and 2K is supported by eLBC - 4K support seems experimental?) and
  2. requires 4-bit ECC (eLBC only has 1-bit ECC) and thus would need SW ECC,

it is probably not an option.

We are now investigating Micron MT29F4G08ABADA, with 2K page size.

It still requires 4-bit ECC, but has internal/on-die ECC. Has anyone been successful using P20x0 with it?

I would very much like to know:

1. What NAND flashes have successfully been used in various P20x0 (linux) projects.
  2. If any of the Micron MT29F4G08.. are supported by P2010.

Thank you!

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

Pavel
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

The P2020 eLBC supports disabling ECC generation. Find the BR_DECC_SHIFT in u-boot configuration file.

Have a great day,
Pavel Chubakov

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

Pavel
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Usually u-boot provides NAND Flash configuration on the board.

Change u-boot configuration using u-boot source code.

U-boot configuration file is located in the u-boot source folder: /include/configs. This folder contains the .h files for the different boards.

See documentation on the following page:

http://git.denx.de/?p=u-boot.git;a=blob_plain;f=README;hb=HEAD

and

http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/DULG/UBoot

See NAND Flash configuration setting of the u-boot.

Have a great day,
Pavel Chubakov

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos

nilsmagnusnilss
Contributor I

Pavel, thank you for your reply. U-boot however does not currently support on-die/internal ECC.

Patches exist for on-die ECC, e.g.

patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/linux-mtd/list/?submitter=8164

I would very much like to know if it is possible to use on-die/internal ECC with the eLBC NAND controller?

0 Kudos