Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does NFC tag only need one shunt cap for matching

Jump to solution
yzhu12
Contributor II

Hello, there

Using NFC antenna tool of NXP, I found that it shows only one shunt capac placeholder for matching is possibly required (actually optional as showed). I don't quite understand the result of this tool for NFC tag if we are tuing the antenna coil matching network to the targeted 50ohm. Why is not extra shunt resistor and serial capacitor for tuning actually required for tag IC?

Hope someone can share some thoughts on this. Thanks.

yzhu12_0-1679818996442.png

Regards,

Yuanchen

1 Solution
KellyLi
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello @yzhu12 

The following equivalent circuits simply describe the characteristics of NTAG integrated circuits as they relate to antenna design. That is to say to design an antenna impedance matching equivalent circuit viewed from LA to LB. The NTAG IC input resistance RIC together with the loss resistance of the antenna and the connection resistance defines the quality factor of the tag. And its value depends on the chip input voltage VLA-LB. RIC is a variable quantity based on the actual application design. For example, the design of the NTAG I2C Plus development board, using the NFC antenna design tool to design the result does not require such an input resistor. So, the input resistance is not a definite value, depending on the size of the antenna, RF field strength. For NATG I2C, as long as you input the corresponding parameters according to your actual application, the final results which is from NFC Antenna Tool will basically meet the requirements. So, don't worry about what the input resistance is.

NXF92074_1-1680503406977.png

Best Regards,

kelly

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
KellyLi
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello @yzhu12 

Thanks for contacting us and interested in the NXP products. Based on your description it's not clear to us what configurations you are setting. So, please share the following configurations with us.

NXF92074_0-1679887042082.png

To update this case, you may reply by email.
To provide confidential information or attachments, you may add that online.

Please login to our NXP technical support portal:
https://support.nxp.com/s/case/5002p00002s4QhCAAU

The portal allows access to the full details of the case, including the previous communication.

Thank you for your interest in NXP Semiconductor products and for the opportunity to serve you.

Best regards,
Kelly
Technical Support
NXP Semiconductor

0 Kudos
yzhu12
Contributor II

In other words, if we use the way of designing a reader antenna coil for that of a tag, do we expect better results?

Thanks,

Yuanchen

0 Kudos
KellyLi
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello @yzhu12 

Yes, I understand your needs and I have consulted with a team of experts.
In principle, if you strictly follow the rules of NFC Tool to design, the resulting parameters of antenna do not need to be greatly adjusted. When fine-tuning is required, you must refer to the Smith chart to judge the adjustment direction, and the adjustment direction of capacitive and inductive loads is different. Therefore, your needs depend on the actual situation, and you cannot simply fix the capacitor and adjust other parameters.

The portal allows access to the full details of the case, including the previous communication.

Thank you for your interest in NXP Semiconductor products and for the opportunity to serve you.

Best regards,
Kelly
Technical Support
NXP Semiconductor

0 Kudos
yzhu12
Contributor II

Hello, Kelly

Thanks for your kindly reply and attachment. Just one last question, what is the rough value of the chip input resistance (RIC) that we shall expect (for NTAG), as mentioned in the attachment? Just a rough range for concept is enough for me. Thanks.

Regards,

Yuanchen

0 Kudos
KellyLi
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello @yzhu12 

The following equivalent circuits simply describe the characteristics of NTAG integrated circuits as they relate to antenna design. That is to say to design an antenna impedance matching equivalent circuit viewed from LA to LB. The NTAG IC input resistance RIC together with the loss resistance of the antenna and the connection resistance defines the quality factor of the tag. And its value depends on the chip input voltage VLA-LB. RIC is a variable quantity based on the actual application design. For example, the design of the NTAG I2C Plus development board, using the NFC antenna design tool to design the result does not require such an input resistor. So, the input resistance is not a definite value, depending on the size of the antenna, RF field strength. For NATG I2C, as long as you input the corresponding parameters according to your actual application, the final results which is from NFC Antenna Tool will basically meet the requirements. So, don't worry about what the input resistance is.

NXF92074_1-1680503406977.png

Best Regards,

kelly

0 Kudos
KellyLi
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello @yzhu12 

There is a document should help you, please check the attachment.

Best regards,
Kelly
Technical Support
NXP Semiconductor

0 Kudos