Is the NFC Reader Library compatible with the MFRC523 and MFRC522?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the NFC Reader Library compatible with the MFRC523 and MFRC522?

Jump to solution
user_123
Contributor II

While looking through the NFC Reader Library (NRL), I saw that the files labeled for rc523, for example phhalHw_Rc523.c, are in fact for the PN512.

Does that mean the NRL can be used with the MFRC523, and in turn the MFRC522 since the two devices have the same register and bit map, without making any changes to the NRL? 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
KellyLi
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello @user_123 

I mean the different points is for MFRC523 and MFRC522,  some of them have different register address(test register), when you test MFRC522 by MFRC523 library,  may be some register of MFRC522 not be configurated in the library of MFRC523,  so you should pay a little attention, for the details please read the data sheet carefully.

About your the last point, I think the NFC Reader Library don't write to any Reserved Bits on the MFRC522 when using for ISO/IEC 14443 A/MIFARE and NTAG.

But suggest you making test on NXP's development kit. The MFEV710 design in kit includes the MFRD710 contactless smartcard reader, a design based on the MFRC523 contactless reader IC.

Best Regards,

Thanks,

kelly

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
user_123
Contributor II

Had to make some modifications to the original "NXP Reader Library" but was able to get the Example 1 working and am able to read TAG UIDs for IS014443A type tags. Biggest change was turning the waitirq function into a delay due to getting a hard fault from xEventGroupWaitBits when it was called.

KellyLi
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello @user_123 ,

MFRC522/3 is a highly integrated reader/writer IC for contactless communication at 13.56 MHz. The MFRC522 reader supports ISO/IEC 14443 A/MIFARE and NTAG. However, in addition MFRC523 reader also supports ISO/IEC 14443B mode. The registers and addresses of these two chips are almost the same, but the test registers are a little different, MFR523 has a few more of test register, you should pay attention to here, if need. But my suggest is when porting, it should be slightly modified for two different points. For more design details read the corresponding data sheet.

But not recommended for new designs. For new designs, please use recommended product CLRC663 plus. The replacement for these products is the CLRC663.

Best Regards,

Thanks,

kelly

0 Kudos
user_123
Contributor II

For now, I'm just testing.

You said "when porting, it should be slightly modified for two different points". What are these two points and how should they be modified to enable me to use the NFC Reader Library for the MFRC522. 

Also, would the NFC Reader Library write to any Reserved Bits on the MFRC522 if I were to use it only for ISO/IEC 14443 A/MIFARE and NTAG?

0 Kudos
KellyLi
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello @user_123 

so for new designs, please use recommended product CLRC663 plus, there will be more design resources. 

Best Regards,

Thanks,

kelly

0 Kudos
KellyLi
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello @user_123 

I mean the different points is for MFRC523 and MFRC522,  some of them have different register address(test register), when you test MFRC522 by MFRC523 library,  may be some register of MFRC522 not be configurated in the library of MFRC523,  so you should pay a little attention, for the details please read the data sheet carefully.

About your the last point, I think the NFC Reader Library don't write to any Reserved Bits on the MFRC522 when using for ISO/IEC 14443 A/MIFARE and NTAG.

But suggest you making test on NXP's development kit. The MFEV710 design in kit includes the MFRD710 contactless smartcard reader, a design based on the MFRC523 contactless reader IC.

Best Regards,

Thanks,

kelly

0 Kudos
user_123
Contributor II

This link for a previous community post, related to this topic, mentions example code for the mfrc522 that allows it to read mifare classic, I was wondering if I could also get this example code.

Thank you

0 Kudos