cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Functional Testing for NTAG 5 LINK Devices

Jump to solution
dbwalker0min
Contributor II

I'm using an NTAG5 LINK on my device. As part of the functional test, I want to occasionally connect to the DUT, read some information, and then disconnect. This will help check the functionality of the NFC device itself (which has got to work), and then I can read test results from my DUT. I currently can do this using a SpringCard Puck-Base reader, but, as far as I can tell, there is no way to turn it off programmatically. I physically have to move the NFC reader so it's not so close to the DUT.

Do others using (and testing) NFC in their products know of a good way to do this? Perhaps I'm dense, but I've spent two full days working on this.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
dbwalker0min
Contributor II

@Julián_AragónM 

So NXP has no recommendations for functionally testing devices that use the NTAG5 chips. It sounds like I'm on my own...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Julián_AragónM
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @dbwalker0min,

I apologize for the inconvenience, but since this is not an NXP reader, support is limited.

In order to disconnect from the device, it should be enough to turn off the RF field. Please check your reader's user manual to send the command.

Best regards,
Julián.

0 Kudos
dbwalker0min
Contributor II

@Julián_AragónM 

Thanks for your reply.

My question was more general. As I said in my original post, the SpringCard reader that I was trying to use makes it difficult to control the field. I am not wedded to using that reader; I think another piece of test equipment would probably be better. Preferably one that is made for this purpose. Do you have any recommendations for readers (NXP?) that are suitable for functionally testing assemblies that utilize NFC?

0 Kudos
Julián_AragónM
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @dbwalker0min,

Are you looking for an IC or a final solution? Also, it would be helpful to know the focus of your product in order to make an accurate recommendation.

If you are looking for an IC to develop your own product, you can look into our readers (EdgeVerse™ NFC Readers). You can also look for a final solution from one of our partners through the RFID Ecosystem.

If we have more information about your project, we can give you a better recommendation or support if you need it.

Best regards,
Julián

0 Kudos
dbwalker0min
Contributor II

@Julián_AragónM 

We're designing an IoT device to monitor tree growth. A picture of the device is shown below:

dbwalker0min_0-1697048074423.png

As part of this device, an NFC interface (based on the NTAG5 LINK) controls it during production and installation. I'm primarily concerned with the production aspect. Specifically, I need to test the assembly before it is packaged, so I need to communicate with it over NFC to check the function of NFC itself and retrieve data from the device.

To be very clear, I'm not looking to design my own reader. That's an engineering task I don't want to tackle, as someone else must make an instrument to do this. I'm looking for a stand-alone NFC device to integrate with my test fixture to let me test the interface and send commands to my device.

I hope this clarifies things a bit.

0 Kudos
Julián_AragónM
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @dbwalker0min,

Thanks for the clarification. As NXP is an IC manufacturer, we provide only the IC. If you are looking for a final solution, I would recommend going with one of our reader manufacturers: RFID Ecosystem.

Do not hesitate to ask if you have any problems with the process.

Best regards,
Julián.

0 Kudos
dbwalker0min
Contributor II

@Julián_AragónM 

So NXP has no recommendations for functionally testing devices that use the NTAG5 chips. It sounds like I'm on my own...

0 Kudos