MBDT number of Simulink line signals limit for FreeMaster?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MBDT number of Simulink line signals limit for FreeMaster?

Jump to solution
chrisc1
Contributor III

Is there some limitation on overall number of Simulink named lines / signals that FreeMaster allows inside an MBDT build? Note that I have not declared these signals as viewable variables, they are simply named because they will then go into a bus.

I'm seeing some strange behaviour where the software that I flash seems to work on the processor (I can verify the operation of button to control LEDs), it frequently connects for the first time, it may even allow me to see variables for about 2 seconds and then the variables turn into question marks. If I remove signals from my model then the connection is fine and I can use FreeMaster, if I add several more signals I find that FreeMaster does not even connect the first time to allow me to pick the ELF file. So I've spend a few hours finding the tipping point basically. Initially I thought it might have been some function or other block but now I'm pretty sure it's to do with number of named signals. . I've verified that I get the failure also if the signals go to a terminator: in other words I don't think it's the number of signals in the bus that is the concern.

I noticed last week that my builds were not connecting and had thought that was down to some blocks I was using like the Simulink "Find" block, so I re-coded that. Build didn't work; so I thought perhaps my counters had too many Integrator or other blocks. Today I thought I would test with simpler functionality, so most of it is just a few simulated inputs and stubbed inputs, constants into a convert block into a bus into a terminator (simple stuff). And it seems fairly directly related that if I add more lines, then at some point FreeMaster does not want to connect properly. I don't know the technical reason for this since I am not declaring them as viewable, they are just internal lines so I would expect to have many many more for a full build. I'm only at 2-5% content of what I plan to include.

I always used the Tools --> Connection Wizard to connect, in the belief that it will pick the best data rate (usually 115200 but have ticked them all). So I've tried different data rates and I don't get any connection.

I can carry on to do my builds (it looks like they run on the processor) but then I cannot verify simple things unless I find a different tool to connect with. If you wish to have more info on the build files then please PM me, thank you.

1 Solution
constantinrazva
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello chrisc@rmlgroup.com,

Regarding the baudrate, you should have the FreeMASTER project set exactly the same as you have it in the FreeMASTER Configuration block inside your model.

Now for the question marks, can you try and go into the FreeMASTER configuration block and set the mode to Short interrupt + set the priority closer to 1 (higher) ? This should fix this. For more details there is a video here that goes into more details about these kind of FreeMASTER settings (around the 27th minute, but I recommend the whole video).

For other problems (if you still have issues after you try what I suggested above) you should share the model so I can take a look (you can strip all proprietary code, just let a simple example that replicates the FreeMASTER issues) - you can send it privately if needed.

Kind regards,

Razvan.

P.S.: there is a 4 part webminar regarding FreeMASTER available here (you find the links to the videos in a reply, below).

View solution in original post

3 Replies
chrisc1
Contributor III

Thank you Razvan,

that worked, so now I will carry on adding content and I will check the connection stability with FreeMaster.

Thank you for the links which I will watch as soon as I have build the next two iterations of code.

0 Kudos
constantinrazva
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Good to hear that chrisc@rmlgroup.com !

Kind regards,

Razvan.

0 Kudos
constantinrazva
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello chrisc@rmlgroup.com,

Regarding the baudrate, you should have the FreeMASTER project set exactly the same as you have it in the FreeMASTER Configuration block inside your model.

Now for the question marks, can you try and go into the FreeMASTER configuration block and set the mode to Short interrupt + set the priority closer to 1 (higher) ? This should fix this. For more details there is a video here that goes into more details about these kind of FreeMASTER settings (around the 27th minute, but I recommend the whole video).

For other problems (if you still have issues after you try what I suggested above) you should share the model so I can take a look (you can strip all proprietary code, just let a simple example that replicates the FreeMASTER issues) - you can send it privately if needed.

Kind regards,

Razvan.

P.S.: there is a 4 part webminar regarding FreeMASTER available here (you find the links to the videos in a reply, below).