Understanding MQX and MQX_Lite

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Understanding MQX and MQX_Lite

jrychter
Contributor V

From what I understand, MQX_Lite is basically just a configuration of MQX, additionally adapted to work with Processor Expert. Is that roughly correct?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm trying to figure out whether I can get the same small code footprint (targeting MKL03Z32VFG4) by just configuring MQX. I do not want to use Processor Expert.

Also, a related question: can MQX be configured without drivers? I only want the basic kernel functionality such as scheduling and events.

0 Kudos
2 Replies

jrychter
Contributor V

Having looked deeper, I am confused by the number of MQX versions. There is MQX, MQX Lite and also MQX shipped with Kinetis SDK.

I recently adapted some of my code to use CMSIS-compliant headers, and from what I can see, MQX is still on the older, non-CMSIS headers. So perhaps going with the Kinetis SDK version is the way to go? Then again, my devices are KL03 and K20, and the K20 is not supported by the Kinetis SDK. But if I go with the non-SDK MQX version, I will have to change my code back to the non-CMSIS peripheral definitions…

Then there is the MQX Lite — I don't really understand how it fits into all of this.

0 Kudos

soledad
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Jan,

MQX Software Solutions are available in three variants to meet your embedded design needs: MQX RTOS for Kinetis SDK (MQX for KSDK), traditional MQX RTOS and MQX Lite. However unfortunately there is no support for KL03 devices.

1. MQX RTOS for Kinetis SDK

Freescale MQX RTOS for Kinetis SDK is the latest evolution of the proven and professionally developed Freescale MQX™ Software Solutions for Kinetis MCUs. It is built on top of the software development kit (SDK) for Kinetis MCUs, leveraging the flexible and extendable peripheral drivers found within the SDK. MQX Lite configuration option is now available for enhanced scalability, allowing developers the option to use the same light weight kernel API found within MQX Lite RTOS.

MQX RTOS for Kinetis SDK supports the below device families.

pastedImage_9.png

2. MQX RTOS

Freescale MQX™ RTOS a full-featured complimentary real-time operating system including the MQX™ Kernel, TCP/IP stack (RTCS), embedded MS-DOS file system (MFS), USB host/device stack, and more. The MQX™ multitasking kernel provides pre-emptive scheduling, fast interrupt response, extensive inter-process communication and synchronization facilities. MQX RTOS includes its own peripheral drivers. MQX RTOS doesn't support KL devices however this version supports K20 devices.

3. MQX Lite RTOS

Freescale MQX™ Lite RTOS is a very light MQX™ kernel for resource-limited MCUs. Initially developed for the Kinetis L series family, it allows applications to run with less than 4 KB RAM. It is a true subset of the proven and professionally developed Freescale MQX™ Software Solutions, allowing for easy upward code migration. It is easily configurable within Processor Expert Software to be used with the tool chain of your choice.

This version supports K20 devices but it doesn't support KL03 devices

pastedImage_10.png

Have a great day,

Sol

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos