cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using CAN communication with board MPC5744P

Ahmed_Abd_El-Hafez
Contributor III

Hello NXP team,

When communicating over CAN bus using MPC5744P and DEVKIT-MOTORGD, is there a specific change in jumpers positions to enable this or not? Please, show me the right positions of jumpers to achieve this. And also, is it a must to supply the board externally by 12 V when using CAN module or can I still supply it from USB as normal?

Thank you in advance. 

0 Kudos
3 Replies

PetrS
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

could you please specify the DEVKIT-MPC5744P revision you have so we can suggest jumper setting?
Anyway with DEVKIT-MOTORGD connected you should configure DEVKIT-MPC5744P to be powered from external supply, refer to https://www.nxp.com/document/guide/getting-started-with-the-devkit-motorgd:NGS-DEVKIT-MOTORGD?sectio...

BR, Petr

0 Kudos

Ahmed_Abd_El-Hafez
Contributor III

thank you for your response. First thing ,My board is REV E . secondly, I did not know that I should configure the MPC5744P to be externally supplied. I supplied it by usb from my laptop  and supplied the Devkit-Motor GD by the 12 V and it works and the motor runs. what is the difference or why should I supply it externaly? or it is necessary with communicating over CAN module only.

also I need to know the jumpers position for enabling communicating over CAN module if any.

Thank you in advance

0 Kudos

PetrS
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

at least it is mentioned in DEVKIT-MOTORGD getting started guide, I mentioned. In that case DEVKIT-MPC5744P will use power delivered from DEVKIT-MOTORGD and single supply will be used.

On DEVKIT-MPC5744P rev.E CAN transceiver is integrated in SBC, and thus external 12V must be used to power DEVKIT-MPC5744P. Can be done using board's power jack or if taken from plugged DEVKIT-MOTORGD, in that case J39 should be installed.

CAN TXD/RXD signals are selected using J174. by default FlexCAN0 on pins PTB0/PTB1 is connected to SBC CAN transceiver.

BR, Petr

0 Kudos