GHS <-> S32

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GHS <-> S32

aruneshroy
Contributor II

Is there a way to convert/port a project between different IDEs? GreenHills to S32 and vice versa. Also, between Diab and S32?

Labels (1)
7 Replies

nxppower912935
Contributor IV

Hi,

fair question. I wonder how S32's GNU-PPC derivate compares with GHS or Diag. We have a similar project situation, GHS involved, but no Power MCU and the question is if a GNU-compiler could be used instead of GHS...

Regards

0 Kudos

martin_kovar
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Ludwig,

I am sorry, but I do not understand your question. Could you please specified it in detail?

Regards

Martin

nxppower912935
Contributor IV

Hello Martin!

I was just thinking how does the NXP PPC-GCC compiler, which is integrated in S32, compare with a GHS PPC-version? Would you recommend using S32 for a project and argue that the integrated gcc-compiler is better or at least a match to a commercial compiler, say GHS in terms of functionality (commercial might have better optimization OK...)

Regards,
Ludwig 

0 Kudos

martin_kovar
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Ludwig,

I was looking for any benchmarks, but I did not find anything relevant, only one opinion on stackoverflow.com. optimization - GCC vs Greenhills on ARM - Stack Overflow 

I am not able to tell you, if gcc is better or Green Hills is better, because I do not know Green Hills compiler. I had consulted this topis few months ago with my colleague, who is compiler expert and he told me, that gcc is as good as Green Hills in optimization and code size.

Unfortunately, I do not know, if there are any key features on the side of Green Hills or GCC. From my point of view, GCC is more suitable for smaller projects, where the price is significant factor (GCC is free for use) and it is not necessary to have excellent support. For big projects I would rather recommend you Green Hills compiler, which is proven brand in this area.

Regards,

Martin

nxppower912935
Contributor IV

Hi Martin,

thanks for the reply. I agree, it is extremely difficult to find benchmarks.

But rather than asking for who is the better performing compiler, do you know why usually Autosar or Osek is compiled with GHS or Diab? I found a NXP/Freescale Makefile which gives some idea why the two compilers are used in this case, but discussion would go far beyond initial message by aruneshroy‌. It seems there are some compiler settings and I'm going to investigate if GCC can be used as - say at least - prototype replacement compiler environment. 

Season's Greetings,

Ludwig

0 Kudos

martin_kovar
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Ludwig,

most probably Autosar or Osek uses GHS and Diab, because at the very beginning they agreed about these compilers and they created tests for them. If they wanted to use different compilers, they would create all tests again, because different compilers with different options create different code and the code has to be tested.

Regards,

Martin

martin_kovar
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

I am afraid it is not possible to convert project from GHS to S32 Design Studio using some kind of tool. You have to create new project in S32 Design Studio and migrate the project from GHS manually. 

Regards,

Martin