cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A general question regarding debugger

arthivenkatasub
Contributor III

Hi,

I am just learning about the debuggers in particular PEmicro multilink universal debugger. What is the difference between PEmicro multilink universal debugger and Lauterbach debuggers in terms of performance? Whether PEmicro multilink universal affects the performance when used for flashing Qorivva controllers.As there is a provision for qorivva controllers in this debugger, any disadvantage is there? 

It may be a basic thing but i am not able to figure out. Please reply to my question.

Regards,

Arthi V

0 Kudos
4 Replies

petervlna
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

The difference is huge. You are comparing the cheapest debugger with the best in class.

It is like comparing VW polo and Bentley Continental.

For tests, students, low cost projects PE is fine. But for real development I recommend you to use Lauterbach.

You can rely on Lauterbach, basically I never find any issue in this debugger.

If you require it only for loading SW to flash then there is no big difference. What counts is the debugging environment and capabilities.

But, I think debugger vendors can get you most accurate answers on your questions.

Peter

0 Kudos

danielnäslund
Contributor III

Hi Peter,

I'm using P&E Multilink and I'm experiencing some reliablity issues; watchpoints not being triggered consistently; resets not taking effect... Small things that adds up over time. I'm not sure whether the debug probe is to blame or not.

Do you still hold the opinion, now more than two years after yor original post, that the difference between the Lauterbach debugger and the P&E Multilink is huge? Or has the problems you've experienced with the P&E been fixed in later firmware revisions?

We're discussing in the office whether it's worth to invest in a Lauterbach debugger or not. I would apprieciate input from you or any of your colleagues.

0 Kudos

petervlna
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

My opinion is that you should already saved a lot of time and nerve if you had bought Lauterbach at beginning.

That thing just work and it is reliable.

But, I have also good experience with PLS debuggers.

Best regards,

Peter

0 Kudos

arthivenkatasub
Contributor III

Hi,

I just want to know with respect to debug environment as PE micro also has a provision. I  just asked about the environment changes in the debuggers. Anyways being a fresher, I have no idea about high cost debuggers and low cost debuggers. Thats why i raised a question as Lauterbach is totally new to me. Thanks for your views regarding the debuggers.

Regards,

Arthi

0 Kudos