cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RT1170-EVK demo issues only with VSCode

John_D
Contributor II

Hardware: MIMXRT1170-EVK

When running the guix_washing_machine example from mcuexpresso IDE everything works as expected. When running the same example from mcuexpresso VSCode and loading the project the error attached happens. When this happens, i cannot load any projects from mcuexpresso ide or vscode to the EVK. Requiring the use of the MCU-Boot-Utility to mass erase the flash to load projects again.

Capture.PNG

Then if i try to load any project such as the hellow world demo from MCUExpresso IDE, i get the following.

John_D_0-1699656149912.png

To get the board working again, i have to use the NXP-MCUBootUtility to mass erase the flash. only then am i able to load and run projects again.

I suspect it has something to do with the SDRAM configuration, as similiar behavior was seen when trying to merge the LVGL example with another application. The LVGL examples appear to work fine from vscode. I am still learning about SDRAM and how things are configured so i am unsure.

Is there somethings i am missing when trying to run the above demo in VSCode version of mcuexpresso? I dont think i should expect running the guix demo would brick the board requiring the boot utility.

0 Kudos
14 Replies

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @John_D,

So sorry for my later reply!

I also meet the same issues with you, when I use the vscode.

kerryzhou_0-1701333991022.png

I already report it to the internal side.  Any updated information, I will let you know.

BTW, I highly suggest you use the mcuxpresso IDE at first, at this method works, I already confirm it.

When you meet the download issues, at first, enter the serial download mode, then do mass erase:

kerryzhou_1-1701334025844.png

After that, switch back to the internal boot mode again, it works Ok with the mcuxpresso IDE:

kerryzhou_2-1701334055400.png

So, keep patient, let me check with internal side about the vscode version at first.

Best Regards,

kerry

0 Kudos

John_D
Contributor II

Kerry,

Thanks for trying it and the mcuexpresso tips. thats very handy.

Also, I did finally get this to work in VSCode by modifying the linker script. i replaced the ivt section it had and added the dcd and xmcd sections like the lvgl example had and it seems to start working. Not sure if that is 100% correct etc. But it did seem to work.

I attached the linker file that i used

Thanks,

John 

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @John_D ,

Thank you for your updated information.

You are really very smart!

Do you just modify the following ld file?

kerryzhou_0-1701400734430.png

Because, I modify it, still can't download after I do the mass erase.

I checked your ld file content, in fact, when you use dcd, then you don't need to use the .xmcd, do you also add the real xmcd data?

Anyway, this demo really have bug in the SDK, I will let our internal side to check it.

Best Regards,

Kerry

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @John_D ,

When you debug the other normal demo, eg, SDK Helloworld vscode demo, do you have this issues or not?

Normally, to your connection issues, your operation is correct with the mass erase in mcuxpresso.

In fact, you also can enter the serial download mode, download another simple project, then change back to internal boot mode to save it, as that will also help you do the erase.

Wish it helps you!

Best Regards,

Kerry

0 Kudos

John_D
Contributor II

The Hello world demo and many of the other projects work fine in both IDE's. I can run the lvgl demo both from vscode and mcuexpresso ide. Only when i run the washing machine demo in vscode does it not work. This demo does work in mcuexpress ide for me, not sure exactly what the issue is. 

I did confirm today by pulling a fresh demo again from the repo and still same results. 

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @John_D ,

Do you import the guix_washing_machine example from the SDK?

Please also tell me the guix_washing_machine demo path, as i didn't find it in the SDK2.14.0 lvgl demo:

kerryzhou_0-1700533648738.png

Then, I will also find time to test it on my mimxrt1170-evk, thanks.

Best Regards,

Kerry

0 Kudos

John_D
Contributor II

I did this through vscode, by right clicking on the SDK and importing from repository. I put a screenshot below. That should show exactly everything being used.

Thank you for looking at this. There is not many sdram examples I have seen, they've been very helpful to see a project setup trying to figure it out.

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @John_D ,

Thanks so much for your picture, I already know the demo path:

\SDK_2_14_0_MIMXRT1170-EVK\boards\evkmimxrt1170\azure_rtos_examples\guix_washing_machine_hd

I will test it on my side.

BTW, when you download the code after do the mass erase, and meet the issues, if you do the power off and power on again, whether your washing_machine demo works or not? I just want to know, whether the demo is downloaded or not. and just influence the new app download again.

Best Regards,

Kerry

0 Kudos

John_D
Contributor II

Kerry,

It does not appear to function after power cycle. Additionally, after loading the demo from vscode the board is unresponsive to any attempts to load or debug from either ide. I'm assuming the on board debugger no longer can connect. If i try to debug the hello world demo from mcuexpresso IDE, i get the following from the console.

MCUXpresso IDE RedlinkMulti Driver v11.8 (Jul 12 2023 16:09:15 - crt_emu_cm_redlink build 2)
Found chip XML file in E:/NXP/WS_FASTNET/evkmimxrt1170_hello_world_demo_cm7/Debug\MIMXRT1176xxxxx.xml
Reconnected to existing LinkServer process.
============= SCRIPT: RT1170_connect_M7_wake_M4.scp =============
RT1170 Connect M7 and Wake M4 Script
DpID = 6BA02477
APID = 0x84770001
Setting M4 spin code
Error: Wire Ack Fault - target connected?
Setting M4 clock
Resetting M4 core
View cores on the DAP AP
DpID = 6BA02477
============= END SCRIPT ========================================
Probe Firmware: CMSIS-DAP (ARM)
Serial Number:  02440000352c71da00000000000000000000000097969905
VID:PID:  0D28:0204
USB Path: \\?\hid#vid_0d28&pid_0204&mi_03#8&132dba6a&0&0000#{4d1e55b2-f16f-11cf-88cb-001111000030}
Using memory from core 0 after searching for a good core
connection failed - Nn(05). Wire ACK Fault in DAP access.. Retrying
Failed on connect: Nn(05). Wire ACK Fault in DAP access
Connected&Reset. Was: NotConnected. DpID: 6BA02477. CpuID: 00000000. Info: <None>
Last stub error 0: OK
Last sticky error: 0x0 AIndex: 0
Debug bus selected: MemAp 0
DAP Speed test unexecuted or failed
Debug protocol: SWD. RTCK: Disabled. Vector catch: Disabled.
(100) Target Connection Failed
error closing down debug session - Nn(05). Wire ACK Fault in DAP access

To get the board functional again.  I have been doing the following procedure. This procedure i found on another forum post i cannot recall, but was helpful when learning how to configure the sdram on our internal project.

• power off
  • move usb to USB1 (SDP) port
  • configure switches from 1 - off, 2-off,3-on,4-off to 1-off,2-off,3-off,4-on
  • power on
  • run the mcubootutility
  • connect to rom
  • on the boot device memory tab click mass erase
  • place switchs and usb cable back to normal

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @John_D ,

Thanks so much for detailed information.

I already got it.

Please give me more time, I will do the testing on my side at first, than give you feedback later.

Please keep patient, thanks a lot for your understanding.

Any updated information from my side, I will let you know, thanks.

Best Regards,

Kerry

0 Kudos

mimlo
Contributor III

Hi,
Did you manage to resolve the issue? What is the status of the issue?

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @mimlo ,

Please refer to John_D's reply in:

Already find the workaround.

If you still have question about it, welcome to create your own question post, then we can help you in your own question post, thanks.

Best Regards,

Kerry

0 Kudos

mimlo
Contributor III

@kerryzhou I actually meant to ask you that question regarding the status. You wrote you would investigate the issue and get back with feedback.

Thanks.

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @mimlo ,

In fact, at last, I also do it like this original post author:

This issue is solved by  modifying the linker script.replaced the ivt section it had and added the dcd and xmcd sections like the lvgl example.

You also can try it.

If you have any issues about it, please create the new question post about it, thanks.

Best Regards,

Kerry