cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to understand IAP for LPC55xx in SDK 2.12.0

StuartTyler
Contributor II

Hi,

I am trying to learn to use the IAP driver in SDK 2.12.0 on the LPC55S28 and have read the sdk online doc, pdf manual UM11126 (and the attached files in the manual- spreadsheet and rom info).

What is confusing is all the acronyms that are used and no document that presents concepts. Some of the acronyms:

ISP = in system programming

IAP = in application programming

PFR = protected flash region

FFR = ? Unknown, used everywhere, but not explained. Guessing: Field Factory Region?

KBR = ? Unknown, used everywhere, but not explained. Guessing: Kboot Region?

There are a number of regions, scratch, ping/pong and in the spreadsheet many registers. There are no concepts presented on what is trying to be achieved, or how to use them.

Just reading all the SDK info and function prototypes does not help as no system concepts are presented. Could someone please point us to some FFR and KBR system information on how to robustly use these driver modules.

0 Kudos
3 Replies

Miguel04
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @StuartTyler 

Sorry for the late reply, FFR and PFR are used interchangeably, but i could not find the meaning for the acronym. The FFR APIs handle elements from the protected flash region or PFR. The PFR can not be modified as traditional flash and  the FFR API lets you to do that. 

Could you tell me where did you see KBR?

You can find more information about the functions on the user manual, have you checked those already?

Let me know if you have another question.

Best Regards, Miguel.

0 Kudos

StuartTyler
Contributor II

Hi,

I meant KBP sorry, not KBR.

As per my message, I have been referring to the SDK API manual for Rev 2.12.0, which is the version of the SDK that I am using for the LPC55S28. The Overview section for both IAP_FFR driver and IAP_KBP driver is empty. 

I have also been referring to UM11126, there is nothing in the IC user manual as it just lists the driver access and describes the hardware.

But there is obviously a lot more happening in this area as there are many bits in there from manufacturing and driver level. UM11126 does have a xls in it documenting the bit, but not how to use IAP_FFR or IAP_KBR. I read people are bricking devices on the forum - mainly trying to drive the hardware directly and not through the sdk.

Now I am trying to avoid bricking hardware, and using the sdk, but there is no documentation around on the design intent or how to use IAP_FFR and IAP_KBP correctly. Could someone please document the IAP_FFR and IAP_KBP overview sections so we can understand what the indent of the driver is, explain the usage procedure. 

It looks like this section has been under heavy development changes and possibly still a work in progress. Clarifying the IAP_FFR and IAP_KBP would be good.

StuartTyler_0-1673094316764.png

0 Kudos

Miguel04
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @StuartTyler 

Thanks for the correction.

Besides the xls document, you should also have the ROM_API.pdf document, there you can find information of ffr and kb API. Also, in chapter 9.3.3 on UM11126 you have the description of the ffr functions. I think this will help you.

Miguel04_0-1673285010085.png

I'll be looking for more information of the KBP and FFR drivers. Let me know any other question you have.

Best Regards, Miguel.

0 Kudos