Discussion on using MCUXpresso SDK in open source projects

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discussion on using MCUXpresso SDK in open source projects

yaoxingshan
Contributor II

I want to use/reference/include the MCUXpresso SDK in my open source project. However when I download the MCUXpresso SDK, I need to agree to a EULA which seems to restrict my distribution and license. What should I do to ensure that my actions are not infringing?

0 Kudos
2 Replies

ErichStyger
Senior Contributor V

I'm not a lawyer, but: in many countries any click-through agreement is not binding, so I would not worry too much about it. What counts is the license agreement document you find with the SDK installed, and more important for source code what license it tied to it. And here for the NXP owned SDK sources it is for example this:

/*
 * Copyright 2014-2016 Freescale Semiconductor, Inc.
 * Copyright 2016-2019 NXP
 * All rights reserved.
 * SPDX-License-Identifier: BSD-3-Clause
 */

Which refers to https://opensource.org/licenses/BSD-3-Clause which is very permissive.

Of course there are other terms for other parts, so you would have to check what you are going to use, and how.

Erich

0 Kudos

yaoxingshan
Contributor II

After unpacking the SDK, I found that there are mainly three files that constrain the content of the SDK: COPYING-BSD-3, LA_OPT_EVAL_DEMO_ONLY.htm and SW-Content-Register.txt. It looks like LA_OPT_EVAL_DEMO_ONLY.htm is the strictest.

Yaoxing

0 Kudos