cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MCUXpresso IDE: debugging of cmake project

Jump to solution
aleksejshch
Contributor II

Hi! I can't setup LinkServer (CMSIS-DAP) debugging in MCUXpresso IDE for imported cmake project. Is it possible? I can't find any solution.

Details:

I created simple cmake project: using source from evkmimxrt1160_iled_blinky_cm7 example from SDK, written my own cmake for project. So, I can build project from terminal. Also, I can load binary to MCU using crt_emu_cm_redlink utility from IDE folder with required parameters from terminal. And as LED blinks, I'm sure that all is ok.

Then I imported project to MCUXpresso IDE (File -> Import -> General -> Existing Project into Workspace ). There I can also build my project, and load binary to MCU (adding crt_emu_cm_redlink with parameters to "Build Targets" -> "create build target").

But I can't setup LinkServer (CMSIS-DAP) for debugging in IDE. 

My setup:

MCUXpresso IDE version: v11.7.0 [Build 9198] [2023-01-17]

Board: MIMXRT1160-EVK

SDK version: SDK_2_13_0_MIMXRT1160-EVK

Kind Regards,

Oleksii

0 Kudos
1 Solution
ErichStyger
Senior Contributor V

Instead using crt_emu_cm_redlink, I recommend that you use the new LinkServer, see https://mcuoneclipse.com/2023/05/14/linkserver-for-microcontrollers/

View solution in original post

6 Replies
ErichStyger
Senior Contributor V

Not sure what problem your are facing with the debug configuration.

I'm using MCUXpresso IDE with CMake and LinkServer, see https://mcuoneclipse.com/2023/04/19/building-a-triumvirate-from-eclipse-cdt-to-cmake-cmd-and-visual-...

0 Kudos
aleksejshch
Contributor II

Yes, my project and cmake files has the same structure. 

Maybe I did something wrong?

That's my sequence:

1. Prepared Eclipse files:

$ cmake -G "Eclipse CDT4 - Unix Makefiles" -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug -DCMAKE_ECLIPSE_VERSION="4.24" -DCMAKE_ECLIPSE_GENERATE_SOURCE_PROJECT=TRUE -DCMAKE_ECLIPSE_MAKE_ARGUMENTS=-j8 ..

2. Import project into IDE:
File -> Import -> General -> Existing Project into Workspace

Here I can build project from IDE.

Then I try to debug:

In Project Explorer right click on project -> Debug as -> 2 MCUXpresso IDE LinkServer (inc. CMSIS-DAP) probes. Opened window "Probes discovered", I can see attached one, press "OK" and nothing happens.

I can try another option:

In Project Explorer right click on project -> Debug as -> Debug Configurations ... Can see window "Debug Configuartions", in right side try to create new "C/C++ (NXP Semiconductors) MCU Application", and nothing happens.

Maybe I do something wrong?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

The project you generate is an Eclipse project but lacks some target-specific information required by MCUXpresso IDE. Only projects created by MCUXpresso IDE have this kind of information. This being said, you have the option to import your cmake project inside the IDE and use it for building and source editing, but for debugging you'll need another project. The latter can be created using the Executable Importer wizard (see ch. 10 from User Guide). You should be able to debug afterwards.

Regards,
MCUXpresso IDE Support

ErichStyger
Senior Contributor V

Check that you have selected in your launch configuration the correct binary:

ErichStyger_0-1685027547209.png

0 Kudos
ErichStyger
Senior Contributor V

Instead using crt_emu_cm_redlink, I recommend that you use the new LinkServer, see https://mcuoneclipse.com/2023/05/14/linkserver-for-microcontrollers/

aleksejshch
Contributor II

Thanks, using external LinkServer I can debug my project from IDE. Do you now, is it possible to start dbgserver from IDE instead of manual start from terminal?

0 Kudos