Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MCUXpresso - Generating makefile very slow

Jump to solution
flexeos
Contributor II

Hi All

I've created a new project for IMXRT1166 (M7 core) using MCXpresso 11.6.0 wizard

SDK version is 2.12.0

When I start the build of my project I have to wait about a minute to generate make file for every folder of the source files. After that gcc compilation starts 

This occurs even if I have no change in the files and in this case compilation is very fast but I have to wait for generating makefile anyway

This implies a huge waste of time for every compilation or debug cycle

I attach an image of what I see in Console View during this annoying phase

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
1 Solution
lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

This is a known issue/behavior when having the Managed Build System enabled. I've seen along the time several issues logged against CDT with similar description. One example I quickly found is [1]. 

You could adapt some settings, depending on what you want to accomplish. You can explicitly disable auto-build inside launch configurations and make sure to manually build the project, when needed. You also have the option to disable Makefile generation inside build configurations, but this is risky from a development perspective if your project relies on this - you'll have to manually reenable when source files are added and you won't be able to change any build attribute.

Unfortunately, there's not much what we can do on MCUXpresso IDE side. The slowdown is generated by CDT's Managed Build System implementation and reworking it at this point is not feasible.

Regards,
MCUXpresso IDE Support

[1] https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=223815

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
flexeos
Contributor II

Thanks @ErichStyger 

In Console there is no log during this phase. It hangs and you can see makefile generation for every folder in Progress tab

flexeos_0-1673943170945.png

I Confirm that "Refresh Policy" is correctly set

0 Kudos
ErichStyger
Senior Contributor V

I would try the project in a new/fresh workspace, to see if this helps.

To rule out an impact of your host machine: give it a try on another machine.

I hope this helps,

Erich

0 Kudos
flexeos
Contributor II

Hi @ErichStyger 

The very same behavior has been detected in several machines

I generated a sample project with the same wizard and I attach it here

With respect to the original project this has been hugely reduced and the impact of makefile generation is 20 seconds in my machine (60 seconds in the original one)

If you compile two times without changing source files the second time 20 seconds are spent to regenerate makefiles. After that gcc compilation is immediate because no change occurred

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

This is a known issue/behavior when having the Managed Build System enabled. I've seen along the time several issues logged against CDT with similar description. One example I quickly found is [1]. 

You could adapt some settings, depending on what you want to accomplish. You can explicitly disable auto-build inside launch configurations and make sure to manually build the project, when needed. You also have the option to disable Makefile generation inside build configurations, but this is risky from a development perspective if your project relies on this - you'll have to manually reenable when source files are added and you won't be able to change any build attribute.

Unfortunately, there's not much what we can do on MCUXpresso IDE side. The slowdown is generated by CDT's Managed Build System implementation and reworking it at this point is not feasible.

Regards,
MCUXpresso IDE Support

[1] https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=223815

0 Kudos
ErichStyger
Senior Contributor V

Hard to say from that output or level of information. Is there any output to the console?

Have you checked that the 'Refresh policy' is set correctly? See https://mcuoneclipse.com/2015/06/06/eclipse-project-refresh-policy-broken-incremental-build-with-ext...

Other than that: any kind of firewall/anti-virus which could block things on your machine?

I hope this helps,

Erich

0 Kudos