MCULink "Probe not open"

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MCULink "Probe not open"

GREng
Contributor III

In a previously working IDE and MCUlink combination, I am suddenly unable to get a debug session working, with the error "Error: Probe not open".  This occurs with 2 MCUlink devices.

I use the same MCULinks with a colleague's PC, and there is no problem.

When I look at the redlink server console, when the session fails I see this output from the "ProbeStatus" command:

redlink> ProbeStatus
Index = 1
Manufacturer = NXP Semiconductors
Description = MCU-LINK (r0FF) CMSIS-DAP V3.108
Serial Number = KOSXNFON2CJ1B
VID:PID = 1FC9:0143
Path = 0002:001d:00

IsOpen = FALSE
WireInitialized = FALSE
WireProtocol = JTAG
CoresConfigured = FALSE
PacketSize = 512
Reference Count = 0
HasSWV = FALSE
HasETM = FALSE
HasJTAG = TRUE
HasSWD = TRUE
HasBOOTCTRL = TRUE
Probe Type = CMSIS-DAP

Where it succeeds, the probestatus appears like this:

redlink> ProbeStatus
Index = 1
Manufacturer = NXP Semiconductors
Description = MCU-LINK (r0FF) CMSIS-DAP V3.108
Serial Number = KOSXNFON2CJ1B
VID:PID = 1FC9:0143
Path = 0002:0007:00

IsOpen = TRUE
WireInitialized = FALSE
WireProtocol = SWD
CoresConfigured = FALSE
PacketSize = 512
Reference Count = 0
HasSWV = FALSE
HasETM = FALSE
HasJTAG = TRUE
HasSWD = TRUE
HasBOOTCTRL = TRUE
Probe Type = CMSIS-DAP

Note that when the probe is not open, it thinks the wire protocol is JTAG.  I thought MCULink is SWD only, why would it think to use JTAG protocol over MCUlink?  

Is there a Project configuration somewhere I accidentally set, or even a Windows registry setting somewhere that makes the MCUExpresso/Redlink think that MCULink should be using JTAG protocol? 

0 Kudos
4 Replies

Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello @GREng 

What about the system of your PC?

When connected with MCU-link, take a screenshot about Device Manager of PC.

Which chip do you used? How about change to a new workspace of MCUXpresso IDE, then debug a simple demo? If still can't work, take a vide or screenshot show your steps and configuration. Thanks.

BR

Alice

0 Kudos

GREng
Contributor III

GREng_0-1713288145349.png

PC is running Win10 (22H2).

MCUlink appears above in Control Panel, with USB-Serial on COM13. The serial port works, the SWD side stopped working.

We are working with i.MxRT1021 chipset.  MCUExpresso version 11.7.1.  Process to connect was to right-click on the Project and select "Debug As"->"2 MCUXpresso IDE link Server... probes"

GREng_1-1713288630034.png

Or directly using the Flash Utility off the Toolbar:

GREng_2-1713288728309.png

Either way, we select the MCULink serial #, and it churns a bit and both ways fails with this window:

GREng_3-1713288824398.png

Interestingly, we discovered that MCUExpresso 11.6.0 is also on this same PC-- and it works, but this older version of the IDE is only compatible with older RT1021 EVK (rev A) and older MCULinks running  pre 3.x  firmware.  That implied to us a problem with something in MCUExpresso 11.7.1.

This occurred around the same time a redlink server script was accidentally executed from a command window while an active debug session was running in MCUExpresso 11.7.1.  Our suspicion is some sempahore/mutex lock is stuck, but we're unable to figure out where 11.7.1 stores that information.

0 Kudos

AdrianOltean
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Besides Alice's suggestions, I'd also check the launch configuration - inspect Debug Connection type in both cases. You should also try recreating the debug launch configurations. Moreover, look for *.jtag files created in your build folder and delete them.

Regards,

Adrian

0 Kudos

GREng
Contributor III

We deleted all *.launch files in all Workspaces, and MCUExpresso would recreate new ones when creating a debug session, but we still have "probe open" failure.

Did not find any files with *.jtag extension in the Workspaces.

We eventually decided to do a total uninstall and reinstall MCUExpresso 11.7.1 and THAT restored MCULink probe functionality with that version of the IDE. [This is normally a trivial operation, but not in an environment where Administrator is locked down by employer IT policy, so we were hoping to find a solution less invasive, especially if this happens again]

At any rate, brute-force reinstall of the MCUExpresso IDE restored operation.  

0 Kudos