cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MCUBoot CAN and BusPal

LArmstrong1985
Contributor III

Hi,

I've several question about the use of the MCUBOOT via CANBUS listed below.

1) I looked that there is a particular application called BusPal that works as a bridge. It run in an intermediate MCU and

traduce UART packet from the blhost on PC to target MCU. The BusPal project is located on NXP_Kinetis_Bootloader_2_0_0. Is it still compatible with the new version of MCUBoot located on MCUXpressoSDK like 2.7.0 version?

2) Is BusPal easily ported to other MCU?

3) Is there a manner to try MCUBoot can porting directly with PC (without BusPal bridge)?

What I had thought was to use a cpu arm with linux OS which already integrates a can controller like IMX8.
However, Blhost is already compiled only for x86 systems. Is it possible to compile it also for ARM and to use the solution I have in mind or are there problems?

Thank you in advance!

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

jingpan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Fabio,

1. Yes. The protocol does not change. Buspal in MCUBOOT2.0.0 also can be used on SDK2.7 bootloader.

2. Currently, buspal has adapt to FRDM-KL25, TWR-KV46F150M and TWR-K65F180M. This almost covered all kinetis family. It is easy to port to other kinetis mcu.

3. No, blhost source code does not open to customer.

There is another project called embedded host which can be found in NXP_Kinetis_Bootloader_2_0_0\validation\embedded_host. It is more fit for your requirement.

Regards,

Jing 

0 Kudos

cedric_starke
Contributor III
Hello @jingpan,
thanks for this reply and the reference to the embedded_host tool.
I actually started to crosscompile the blhost application for an imx8mm and was now looking for a good solution to get bus_pal working for the imx8mm, where I found this post.
Maybe the embedded_host is the better way to update an LPC55 from an imx8mm via CAN, but I can't find anything about this tool. So far I have only found the sources, but no documentation. Can you please give me more information about this tool.

Best regards
Cedric
0 Kudos