What is fsl-ls1046a-rdb-usdpaa.dts and fsl-ls1046a-rdb-usdpaa-shared.dts used for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is fsl-ls1046a-rdb-usdpaa.dts and fsl-ls1046a-rdb-usdpaa-shared.dts used for?

Jump to solution
devnull0
Contributor II

Hi 

I've been having a hard time figuring out a basic device tree for a custom board that has a LS1046A. Basically, this custom board is only using one 1g ethernet port so my configuration for this ethernet interface kind of looks like the following (from a node perspective)...

&fman0 {
enet1: ethernet@e4000 {
};
};
&fman0 {
mdio@fc000 {
vsc8541_0: ethernet-phy@0 {
};
};
enet1 {
};
};

I'm not sure that is relevant or not for my question but what I'm confused on is what are the following two dts files used for?

• fsl-ls1046a-rdb-usdpaa.dts
  • fsl-ls1046a-rdb-usdpaa-shared.dts

I mapped out (very roughly) how all these dtsi/dts files get pulled in (included) with the final dts file (see attachment "11-16-23-dts-rdb-overlay.pdf) when building an image for a ls1046a-rdb reference board (i've been kind of using ls1046a-rdb as a reference for my custom device tree) No mention of the above two files appear anywhere in an include statement. 

Furthermore, they never appear to be used when building a FIT image with flex-builder. For example, when I execute the following command ... 

flex-builder -i mkitb -m ls1046ardb -r yocto:tiny -a arm64

... it looks at its configuration file "configs/linux/linux/linux_arm64_LS.its" which shows zero mention of "fsl-ls1046a-rdb-usdpaa.dts" and/or "fsl-ls1046a-rdb-usdpaa-shared.dts". Instead "configs/linux/linux/linux_arm64_LS.its" is using "fsl-ls1046a-rdb-sdk.dtb" as the dtb when building the FIT image. 

Therefore, "fsl-ls1046a-rdb-usdpaa.dts" and/or "fsl-ls1046a-rdb-usdpaa-shared.dts" never appear to be used and so I would like to know two things ... 

• Why is "fsl-ls1046a-rdb-usdpaa.dts" and/or "fsl-ls1046a-rdb-usdpaa-shared.dts" not used for the fsl-ls1046a-rdb reference board (if my above assumption is wrong then what did I misinterpret)?

• What is "fsl-ls1046a-rdb-usdpaa.dts" and/or "fsl-ls1046a-rdb-usdpaa-shared.dts" used for and what is the question I should be asking myself if these two files are applicable to my custom board?

Thanks ~ S

0 Kudos
1 Solution
yipingwang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

DTS fsl-ls1046a-rdb-usdpaa.dts and fsl-ls1046a-rdb-usdpaa-shared.dts are used in DPDK solution.

If you only use Linux Kernel, no need these dts files.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
devnull0
Contributor II

Perfect, thanks for calling that out @yipingwang. Accepting that as the solution. 

0 Kudos
yipingwang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

DTS fsl-ls1046a-rdb-usdpaa.dts and fsl-ls1046a-rdb-usdpaa-shared.dts are used in DPDK solution.

If you only use Linux Kernel, no need these dts files.