OpenWRT V21 or V22 SD card boot on LS1021A-IOT

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenWRT V21 or V22 SD card boot on LS1021A-IOT

ArtelMike
Contributor II

I am attempting to upgrade our system to OpenWRT V22 which is based on the LS1021A-IOT development board. These builds do not produce a bootable SD card. None of the default images or any custom builds have worked since V21. V19 works fine.

Are there any updates or patches to get the LS1021A-IOT uboot to work on OpenWRT V22 (or even V21)?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

yipingwang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

The latest OpenWRT release provided by NXP is 

openwrt repository from 

https://source.codeaurora.org/external/qoriq/qoriq-components/openwrt (tag layerscape-20.09)

Please download this version OpenWrt and refer to the following files.

package/boot/uboot-layerscape/files/fsl_ls1021a-iot-sdboot-uEnv.txt

package/boot/uboot-layerscape/Makefile

package/boot/tfa-layerscape/

0 Kudos

ArtelMike
Contributor II

So, this version works with OpenWRT V19. I am on V22 which uses LSDK 21.08. Sometime after OpenWRT V19 and now the boot layout and Linux kernel changed. The Linux kernel is now a fitImage and resides on partition 1 (ext4) and the root filesystem lives on partition 2 (squashfs).

uboot has also increased signigicantly in size and as configured by default, overwrites the MMC partition table preventing boot. Ideally, the raw partition at the beginning of the SD card needs to be increased in size to accommodate the current uboot. In addition, fitImage and ext4 support needs to be added to the uboot configuration.

Finally, the uboot environment file needs to be edited to include brackets around the loadaddr variables.

Thanks, Mike

0 Kudos

ArtelMike
Contributor II

Thanks to one of the OpenWRT developers, CHKDSK88, I have a patch to allow OpenWRT V22 to boot on the LS1021A-IOT platform.

Refer to https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/issues/9894 for a patch.

Mike

0 Kudos