Newer Linux Kernel for QorIQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newer Linux Kernel for QorIQ

jasonhendrix
Contributor V

I have a need for an embedded Linux image for our board based on the LS1020 processor.  I've got the LS1021 dev board, and the latest yocto project, both are running with Linux kernel 3.12.  My questions are:

* when should I expect poky to be updated with a newer kernel version?

* What is the planned version of the kernel?

* Is it realistic for one person (in about 100 hours) to start from the latest yocto/poky and upgrade the Linux kernel components to 3.18.22?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

Pavel
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

The latest SDK from NXP is SDK 1.9. Linux kernel in this SDK is 3.12.37 (same as SDK 1.8).

We work with the mainline kernel in the following way: the version of the kernel to build the next release of NXP QorIQ SDK is fixed several month before the planned SDK release, patches are generated, verified and included in the SDK along with that kernel version. These patches are committed into the mainline within six month after the SDK release. We, however, take no responsibility if changes committed by whoever else break the code we verified.

If your customer wishes to work with a kernel tested by NXP, they should stay with the most recent SDK. That is what we provide limited support for. Customers who wish to stay with the bleeding edge, can use NXP git (git.freescale.com), but they should keep in mind, that git provides what is being actively worked on, which means it may contain not fully verified functionality.

Look at information on the following page (http://www.berkes.ca/guides/linux_kernel.html).

Have a great day,
Pavel

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

jasonhendrix
Contributor V

Thanks Pavel.  My antennae went up when I saw the latest SDK version using a mainline kernel that was released 2 years ago.  3.18 was released 1 year ago.  I thought maybe the SDK developers had encountered, or knew of, issues that would make the upgrade difficult or impossible.  I suppose I'll have to pull the Git repo to see what kernel version is being used in the bleeding edge.  Thanks for the link to the upgrade advice page.

-Jason

0 Kudos