Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Layerscape board not booting after flashing U-Boot

Lukas_Ungerland
NXP Pro Support
NXP Pro Support

Hi everyone,

We were trying to reflash our LS1012A-FRWY board with a new u-boot. We did this following the steps mentioned inside the FRWY-LS1012AGSG.pdf under point 4.

We downloaded the firmware_ls1012afrwy_uboot_qspiboot.img via wget and established a connection via TFTP, as described inside point 4.3 Step 2: Configuring board for TFTP.

We followed steps 4.4 loading the firmware image to the boards RAM and afterwards writing the firmware image to the QSPI flash memory and erasing environment variables.

Step 6 states "6. Reset the board. The board boots up with the updated firmware image." We rested the board, but no output was appearing on our console. Since then, we were not able to get U-boot running.

We tried to flash the board via the CW TAP, enabled the hard-coded RCW by inserting R50 and setting

USE_SAFE_RCW = True

inside the LS1012A_FRWY_init.py,

and with various images, pre-built from the NXP website, built locally or with Yocto but without any success. We can flash the board via CW TAP without errors, but we can't boot into u-boot.

Is there a suggestion for another method to try to get the firmware image running? I assume we did something wrong while flashing the u-boot via TFTP, are there any errors we committed while doing so?

Any help or suggestion is highly appreciated!

Kind regards

Lukas Ungerland

0 Kudos
2 Replies

LFGP
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi there, you can use a SD card in order to deploy the firmware image, please go to the section "4.5 Step 4: Deploying Ubuntu userland on FRWY-LS1012A" -> "4.5.1 Option 1: By preparing micro SDHC card on the Linux host machine" , be sure you have configured the respected micro-switches on the board  to boot from SD.

"

0 Kudos

Lukas_Ungerland
NXP Pro Support
NXP Pro Support

Hi @LFGP 

I found the error, I was doing. While flashing with CW TAP I used a wrong offset, instead of 0x0 I used 0x40000.

(gdb) source ../../gdb_extensions/flash/cwflash.py
(gdb) fl_write 0x0  firmware_ls1012afrwy_uboot_qspiboot.img --erase --verify -n 4

Changing the offset resolved my problem and I'm now able to boot into u-boot.

Thanks for your help!

Kind regards

Lukas Ungerland

0 Kudos