cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AN5097 DDR4 Layout Checklist Clarification for LS1028A Application

Jump to solution
jimmymm
Contributor II

I am in the process of laying out the DDR4 interface for our LS1028A application and had a couple of questions related to the AN5097 checklist.

The last bullet on No. 27 states: "For 32-bit or 16-bit DDR4 data bus, the bit 0 (DQ[0]) and bit 1 (DQ[1]) of ECC
byte lane, bit-swap is not allowed." My initial interpretation of this is that bit 0 and bit 1 of the ECC's data bus cannot be bit-swapped. However, the reference design board has the following bit swapped interface:

DQ0->D1_MECC3

DQ1->D1_MECC1

DQ2->D1_MECC2

DQ3->D1_MECC0

I would like to implement the following bit-swapping order for Rank 1:

DQ0->D1_MECC2

DQ1->D1_MECC0

DQ2->D1_MECC3

DQ3->D1_MECC1

...and this order for Rank 2:

DQ0->D1_MECC0

DQ1->D1_MECC2

DQ2->D1_MECC1

DQ3->D1_MECC3

Is this bit swap permitted? I do not understand this rule.

My second question relates to No. 25 in the checklist, specifically this statement: "Spacing >= 2-3x distance from signal to adjacent ground plane in PCB stack-up". Is this the trace to trace spacing? If so, is it center-to-center or edge-to-edge?

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Bulat
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

1. Yes, your bit mapping is ok.

2. Yes, it is about trace to trace spacing. Accuracy of the recommendation is not too high (2-3x), treat it as edge-to-edge. The rule is really simple, greater spacing - lower interference.

Regards,

Bulat

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Bulat
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

1. Yes, your bit mapping is ok.

2. Yes, it is about trace to trace spacing. Accuracy of the recommendation is not too high (2-3x), treat it as edge-to-edge. The rule is really simple, greater spacing - lower interference.

Regards,

Bulat

0 Kudos