OpenOCD Support for LPC55xx Family

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenOCD Support for LPC55xx Family

chad_k
Contributor II

Does anyone have OpenOCD target configurations for the LPC55xx processors?  Are there any plans for OpenOCD support for the LPC55xx family of processors?  I'm trying to setup a production programming station using a Raspberry Pi 4B+ and the JTAG hat.  I was able to get all the way up to actually connecting when I found that there are not any target configurations for the LPC55xx (specifically the LPC5528 that I'm looking for).  I see there are some for other LPC families, but not these.  Thanks in advance for your help.

0 Kudos
8 Replies

Amund
Contributor I

Now that some time has passed, is there someone who has been able to get OpenOCD working with the LPC55xx processors?

robert-wessels
Contributor I

Is it just me @chad_k or did you simply bump your answer? [Edited] I thought @ZhangJennie bumped his/her answer but was mistaken. Would be great if we could get a straight up answer, YES, NXP can support the OpenOCD community and help add support for the LPC55S28 or NO we can't and you are on your own.

In the meantime, I got things working using pyOCD. Not ideal but will do for now. pyOCD supports pulling CMSIS packs to add support for additional micros pretty much enabling support for any micro with a Cortex-M that has a CMSIS pack available. There are issues though. Reading peripheral memory space is an issue for one.  I have a question out for why peripheral memory can't be read. If anyone needs a bit more detail on how I got this working please let me know in this post and I would be happy to post more details.

0 Kudos

chad_k
Contributor II

Thank you for the link.  Do you know where I can get the target configuration files for the LPC5528?

0 Kudos

ErichStyger
Senior Contributor V

I have been using OpenOCD successfully for NXP Kinetis and NXP LPC 8xxx devices. I have not used it with the LPC55Sxx series, and I don't have a LPC55S28. I do have a 55S59 and 55S16, so if time permits, I can try it out. But: OpenOCD is supported by the community, so the OpenOCD community would be the best place to ask for support. I know from my S59 and S16 that the flash architecture is very different, so it will require specific support for it from the OpenOCD community.

Somewhat related: I'm working on gdb server support with LinkServer (MCULink and MCULink-Pro) which gives you command line support/scripting/etc. This might be something for you too?

0 Kudos

chad_k
Contributor II

gdb would work for me.  I'm not so interested in the tool chain as a solution that allows me to have a solution for production that allows programming with some customization.

0 Kudos

ErichStyger
Senior Contributor V

I need to sort out the details in the next days, and I plan to publish an article. In essence similar to what I'm using with other gdb server probe solutions like in https://mcuoneclipse.com/2015/03/25/command-line-programming-and-debugging-with-gdb/, but with the NXP MCU-Link and MCU-Link Pro (LinkServer Debug Connection).

0 Kudos

robert-wessels
Contributor I

I am in need of the same. OpenOCD for the LPC55xx. The OP is asking for support in OpenOCD for the LPC55xx. The article you point at indeed shows MCU-Link but that is not answer to the full question. The answer is, is there support for the LPC55xx WITH MCU-Link in OpenOCD? The article is about OpenOCD in combination with LPC845, not the LPC55xx. The LPC845 (an most of the LPC chips) make use of the lpc2000 OpenOCD flash driver. As far as I know, this flash driver is NOT compatible with the LPC55xx as it features a new type of flash and most likely requires a new OpenOCD flash driver. I could attempt to use the lpc2000 flash driver but have my reservations about it actually working.

The question now is (at least for me and I think also for the OP), is NXP planning to help the OpenOCD community with adding support for the LPC55xx series chips?

0 Kudos

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi chad_k ,

OpenOCD is possiable for MCU-Link probe. But it needs addistional settings. see below:

https://mcuoneclipse.com/2020/12/15/openocd-with-mcu-link/

Thanks,

Jun Zhang

0 Kudos