cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LPC812 SCT claims 2 states, but it uses 5 bits

Jump to solution
fjrg76
Contributor IV

Hi, datasheet for LPC81x claims they can handle up to 2 states, however the registers EVx_CTRL and STATE have both allowed 5 bits (EVx_CTRL:STATEV, bits 19:15 and STATE:STATEy, 4:0 and 20:16) for states, which make me think that actually the SCT in this chip can handle up to 32 states.

However then I read: "The value of a state variable is completely under the control of the application. If an
application does not use states, the value of the state variable remains zero, which is the
default value."

Does this chips actually have 32 states, or does it mean that I can write any value up to 32 into one of the two states?

Please DON'T suggest me to read the AN11538. I've been reading almost you've provided trying to decode the SCT timer but it's been a difficult duty.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
_Leo_
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @fjrg76

Thank you so much for your interest in our products and for using our community.

The SCTimer/PWM peripheral has for some devices up to 32 states, but for the one you are using (LPC81x), it only has 2 states (AN11538).

nxf86756_0-1669749230426.png

Hope it helps you.

Have a nice day

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
_Leo_
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @fjrg76

Thank you so much for your interest in our products and for using our community.

The SCTimer/PWM peripheral has for some devices up to 32 states, but for the one you are using (LPC81x), it only has 2 states (AN11538).

nxf86756_0-1669749230426.png

Hope it helps you.

Have a nice day

0 Kudos
fjrg76
Contributor IV

The SCTimer is a too complex peripheral and the mistakeS (with capital S) in the user manual don't help to understand it.

Why haven't you updated the user manual?

0 Kudos
_Leo_
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

That is a question for which I do not have an official answer.

However, I have sent the recommendation to the appropriate department.

We greatly appreciate your comments.

An apology for the inconvenience.

0 Kudos