Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bricked my MK20DX128XXX5 when updating SDA firmware via JLink

Jump to solution
biosbob
Contributor II

some background:

i have a FRDM-K64F board that exhibited the issue described here:  https://community.nxp.com/t5/Kinetis-Microcontrollers/Freedom-OpenSDA-Firmware-Issues-Reported-on-Wi...

i then went to the SDA download site and selected FRDM-K64F (https://www.nxp.com/design/software/development-software/sensor-toolbox-sensor-development-ecosystem...)

after downloading the .bin file for the SDA v2.2 bootloader (and then putting my FRDM-K64F into BOOTLOADER mode by holding down the button, etc), i copied the .bin file to the board....  after plugging my board back-in, it correctly enumerated as FRDM-K64F....

thinking i was home free, i then tried to debug an example from the FRDM-K64F SDK inside of MCUXpresso using the LinkServer probes....  no luck here, however; couldn't load the board (though it did seem to think something was there)....

at this point, i used my segger debug adapter to directly program the downloaded SDA 2.2 .bin file into the MK20....  following the instructions detailed in the first link above, i presumably erased and then re-flashed the MK20....

now, however, the FRDM-K64F doesn't enumerate all; and pushing reset causing no reaction....

i then tried re-connecting to the MK20 through my segger probe -- but now i couldn't connect all, due to what appears to be "wrong" settings at 0x400 which are locking out access....

i have not looked through the image, but somehow the contents at 0x400  (usually 0xFFFFFFFF, 0xFFFFFFFF, 0xFFFFFFFF, 0xFFFFFFFE from my experience with other kinetis MCUs) are "wrong"....

several questions, then:

1) i have another FRDM-K64F on order, and i don't want to make some mistake twice....  could someone comment on whether i missed something here

2) is there *ANY WAY* to recover the MK20 -- even by mass erasing its flash using my jlink probe

0 Kudos
1 Solution
ErichStyger
Senior Contributor V

Have you tried to program the K64F directly, using the debug header on the board?

I mean you don't really need the K20 on the board to program the K64F, you can do it directly with your J-Link EDU.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
biosbob
Contributor II

i'll download and try KDS....  and just to clear, you want me to program the empty main() on the K64 (or on the K20)???

0 Kudos
ErichStyger
Senior Contributor V

program the K20, because that's the one you want to program. The K20 is unfortunately not supported by MCUXpresso.

0 Kudos
biosbob
Contributor II

i just tried doing the "unlock, erase, loadbin" in one jlink session; everything appears to go correctly....

but then when unplugged/replugged my FRDM-K64F into my PC, the board did not enumerate....  in fact, the board appears totally dead -- no power LED, etc....

0 Kudos
ErichStyger
Senior Contributor V

Have you tried to program the K64F directly, using the debug header on the board?

I mean you don't really need the K20 on the board to program the K64F, you can do it directly with your J-Link EDU.

biosbob
Contributor II

i thought i tried this already, but will give it another shot....

for now, i'll assume the SDA part of the board is "dead"; i'll power the K64 through my bench supply....

do i need to cut any traces on the FRDM-K64F board???

0 Kudos
ErichStyger
Senior Contributor V

btw, you might find another article I wrote useful on that topic:

https://mcuoneclipse.com/2016/06/26/how-to-recover-the-opensda-v2-x-bootloader/

just in case

0 Kudos
ErichStyger
Senior Contributor V

No, you don't have to do cut anything (unless the K20 would somehow interfere, which I don't think in that case).

Erich

0 Kudos
ErichStyger
Senior Contributor V

2) is there *ANY WAY* to recover the MK20 -- even by mass erasing its flash using my jlink probe

If 'mass erase' is disabled, then you won't be out of luck, see https://mcuoneclipse.com/2012/11/04/how-not-to-secure-my-microcontroller/comment-page-1/

You could try the 'unlock' command, see https://mcuoneclipse.com/2014/10/05/unlocking-and-erasing-flash-with-segger-j-link/

I had good success with the PEMICRO debug probe using a power glitch approach, see https://mcuoneclipse.com/2021/05/20/recovering-cortex-m-microcontroller-with-a-power-glitch/

I hope this helps,

Erich

0 Kudos
ErichStyger
Senior Contributor V

as for regaining access to the K20, this one might be helpful:

https://mcuoneclipse.com/2022/06/16/resurrecting-bricked-nxp-kinetis-devices/

0 Kudos
ErichStyger
Senior Contributor V

That bin file looks ok, with still mass erase enabled:

ErichStyger_0-1655366522936.png

So if you have 0xfffff on your K20 there, you definitely have a problem. But I don't think so, if you really flashed that part. One issue I have seen in the past with the 'erase' command with a J-Link device setting for 'allow security', then it indeed erases it to 0xffff, and if you do a reset prior flashing the 'good' values, then you can have a problem. I suspect I had this as a problem at least in one case, but I'm not willing to experiment around this for obvious reasons.

What message do you get from your J-Link if you try to connect?

I hope this helps,

Erich

0 Kudos
biosbob
Contributor II

i was able to successfully "unsecure" the MK20 and then perform an erase....

but when i tried to load the .bin file (using jlink-lite), it failed with a simple "cannot connect to target" message....

i then tried to establish the connection using jlink commander, which produced the following errors (which, among other things, references protection at 0x400)....

SEGGER J-Link Commander V6.88a (Compiled Nov 18 2020 15:10:56)
DLL version V6.88a, compiled Nov 18 2020 15:09:23Connecting to J-Link via USB...O.K.
Firmware: J-Link EDU Mini V1 compiled Nov 12 2020 13:31:42
Hardware version: V1.00
S/N: 801029555
License(s): FlashBP, GDB
VTref=3.288VType "connect" to establish a target connection, '?' for help
J-Link>connect
Please specify device / core. <Default>: MK20DX128XXX5
Type '?' for selection dialog
Device>
Please specify target interface:
  J) JTAG (Default)
  S) SWD
  T) cJTAG
TIF>S
Specify target interface speed [kHz]. <Default>: 4000 kHz
Speed>
Device "MK20DX128XXX5" selected.Connecting to target via SWD
InitTarget()
Protection bytes in flash at addr. 0x400 - 0x40F indicate that readout protection is set.
For debugger connection the device needs to be unsecured.
Note: Unsecuring will trigger a mass erase of the internal flash.
Executing default behavior previously saved in the registry.
Skipping unsecure.
Found SW-DP with ID 0x2BA01477
DPIDR: 0x2BA01477
Scanning AP map to find all available APs
AP[2]: Stopped AP scan as end of AP map has been reached
AP[0]: AHB-AP (IDR: 0x24770011)
AP[1]: JTAG-AP (IDR: 0x001C0000)
Iterating through AP map to find AHB-AP to use
AP[0]: Skipped. Could not read CPUID register
AP[1]: Skipped. Not an AHB-AP
InitTarget()
Protection bytes in flash at addr. 0x400 - 0x40F indicate that readout protection is set.
Skipping unsecure.
AP[1]: Skipped. Not an AHB-AP****** Error: Could not find core in Coresight setupInitTarget()
Skipping unsecure.
AP[1]: Skipped. Not an AHB-AP
InitTarget()
Skipping unsecure.
AP[1]: Skipped. Not an AHB-AP****** Error: Could not find core in Coresight setupCannot connect to target.
J-Link>

do i need to do the "unsecure, erase, loadbin" in one jlink session????   note that the above session only attempted to connect....

0 Kudos
ErichStyger
Senior Contributor V

Can you program just an 'empty' main() to the device, say using KDS?

From the error messages I'm not 100% sure if it might be problem with your setup. Using KDS seems a much easier way to me to verify if you still can access the device.

0 Kudos