cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

boot loader with 2 image files on MK64 internal flash

Jump to solution
roymessinger
Contributor V

I want to implement the Kbootloader and 2 image files on the MK64 flash. Can it be done?

So the bootloader itself and the 2 images will reside on the internal program flash of the MK64.

Do I need some hardware on the board for it? (special inputs/outputs).

Thanks.

1 Solution
Jorge_Gonzalez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Roy Messinger,

Yes, your scenario should be possible, just I am not aware of reference implementations like this one. KBOOT might be useful for the bootloader part.

Depending on your IDE/compiler, you need to link the bootloader at the beginning of flash and then each of the 2 images at a different offset in flash memory, one after each other. Then in the bootloader's code you can add code for the decision making of which application image to execute (e.g. based in an external button, a variable in RAM or Flash, etc).

The required hardware depends on which interface you choose for the firmware update (UART, USB, I2C, SPI).

Regards!

Jorge Gonzalez

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Jorge_Gonzalez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Roy Messinger,

Yes, your scenario should be possible, just I am not aware of reference implementations like this one. KBOOT might be useful for the bootloader part.

Depending on your IDE/compiler, you need to link the bootloader at the beginning of flash and then each of the 2 images at a different offset in flash memory, one after each other. Then in the bootloader's code you can add code for the decision making of which application image to execute (e.g. based in an external button, a variable in RAM or Flash, etc).

The required hardware depends on which interface you choose for the firmware update (UART, USB, I2C, SPI).

Regards!

Jorge Gonzalez