cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KV31F serial port firmware update

KCTS
Contributor I

Hello, 

I am new to the Kinetis platform and working with the FRDM-KV31F board. I have been familiarizing myself with the flashloader as well as using the blhost cmd tool. I would like to know if there is a possibility to update firmware through a serial port (UART) from a another host MCU. I am looking to have a serial port on my host MCU and having that transport a .bin to the KV3x. From my understanding (please correct me if I am wrong), the flashloader(e.g. Kinetis bootloader, openSDA?) needs to be loaded into RAM and then the FRDM-KV31F is essentially "ready" for an incoming binary. What I am not sure about is the medium in between, blhost has specific commands for writing, etc. Will I need to create my own protocol to communicate and write the .bin to the correct location when the flashloader is running?

0 Kudos
2 Replies

xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

Pls refer to the following website:

MCU Bootloader | NXP Semiconductors

On the host side, you have to develop the software like blhost tools. The blhost tools is open source, you can refer to it and adapts it to the host MCU. It is okay to port the blhost tools to MCU, but the task is huge I suppose.

Bootloader Host Application (blhost)

On the target side FRDM-KV31, the bootloader is not integrated into the flash of KV31, you have to install it to the flash of KV31.

The bootloader project is also in SDK package, you can compile and download it to flash of KV31.

https://mcuxpresso.nxp.com/en/welcome

Hope it can help you

BR

XiangJun Rong

0 Kudos

xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

I attach the doc of bootloader demo User Guide.

Hope it can help you

BR

XiangJun Rong

0 Kudos