cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KL25 to KL26 compatibility

MarcelR
Contributor I

Hello,

I was wondering if a binary compiled for MKL25Z128 can also be run on MKL26Z128 as it seems those two processors are almost identically (peripherals, register addresses, Flash/Ram size etc.). The MKL26 only adds I2S and 16-bit SPI.

I would test it myself if I could get my hands on a MKL26 MCU or Evalboard

Thanks

Marcel

0 Kudos
3 Replies

MarcelR
Contributor I

Hi Pablo,

thanks a lot for this. Your help is highly appreciated. 

0 Kudos

PabloAvalos
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @MarcelR 

You are very welcome.

After the test, the results were the expected ones. You can flash the same .bin or .axf to both of them. I made the test compiling a KL25 hello world example and then I connected the KL26 and I flashed it with the same program.

I will attach some pictures for evidence:

PabloAvalos_0-1656712651273.pngPabloAvalos_1-1656712660599.jpeg

Please let me know if you have more questions. Otherwise, please mark this answer as solution to close this thread. Highly appreciated.

Best Regards.
Pablo Avalos.

0 Kudos

PabloAvalos
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @MarcelR 

Please accept my apologies for the delay. We are overloaded on the requests these days, I really appreciate your patience.

Regarding your question, I will do the test on my own KL25 and KL26 to give you the proper answer. Theoretically, as you mention, as they are pretty similar on peripherals, register addresses, Flash/Ram size, etc, you can flash the same binary for both, provided that you are not using the extra peripherals that KL26 has and KL25 not, but I will let you know more precisely in a couple of days.

Please let me know any update or if you have more questions.

Thank you in advance.
Best Regards.
Pablo Avalos.

0 Kudos