cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

K60 Clock Requirements

Jump to solution
Carl_7
Contributor I

I am configuring my board to use an external 25MHz crystal for the main clock. Is it absolutlely necessary to also have a 32kHz crystal on your board even if you are not using an RTC?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
comsosysarch
Contributor III

No. You do not need the 32k clock unless you specifically use it for some device module.

I've been using a custom dev board with only a 50 MHz high speed EXTAL for about 18 months no problem (well, no oscillator problems).

You can leave XTAL32 float, we've grounded EXTAL32 thru a 10M resistor, but I think that is just overkill for possible noise reduction, I do not believe it is required to actually do that. In fact it might be better without. I think the designer just did it so Altium would not complain it was a floating "input".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
comsosysarch
Contributor III

No. You do not need the 32k clock unless you specifically use it for some device module.

I've been using a custom dev board with only a 50 MHz high speed EXTAL for about 18 months no problem (well, no oscillator problems).

You can leave XTAL32 float, we've grounded EXTAL32 thru a 10M resistor, but I think that is just overkill for possible noise reduction, I do not believe it is required to actually do that. In fact it might be better without. I think the designer just did it so Altium would not complain it was a floating "input".

0 Kudos