Debug connector on FRDM board going bad. Any suggestions?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debug connector on FRDM board going bad. Any suggestions?

Jump to solution
injunear1
Contributor IV

Hello,

I have been using one of my FRDM boards exclusively for about three months now. I can't even guess how many times I have plugged and unplugged the debug USB connector; hundreds, if not a couple of thousands, of times. The connector has recently become intermittent.

Has this been an issue with anyone else?

I was not able to find any information about a warranty on the Freescale website. Is there one? Would it cover a worn out USB connector?

Are there any quick fixes to keep the connector, and thus the board, usable a while longer? For instance, can one cut through the plastic cover and bend the leaf spring that holds the plug in place, or is the problem likely something else?

Being a development board, one would expect the debug port to be used countless times. What is the life expectancy of the connector?

Even if the board is soon to become trash, I have three more with which I can continue developing. At $13 a board, I really can't complain if the connector can only be used 2-3000 times.

I am not expecting 5 star repair service. I am just asking what the options are, and what the life expectancy of the connector is.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
apanecatl
Senior Contributor II

Hi Injun, to apply for a warranty you need to contact the distributor you got the boards from or you can fill out the following online warranty/return form:

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/overview.jsp?code=WTB_DTD_WARRANTY

According to the manufacturers information the connector can stand up to 5,000 assembly cycles.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
apanecatl
Senior Contributor II

Hi Injun, to apply for a warranty you need to contact the distributor you got the boards from or you can fill out the following online warranty/return form:

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/overview.jsp?code=WTB_DTD_WARRANTY

According to the manufacturers information the connector can stand up to 5,000 assembly cycles.

0 Kudos
frankvanhooft
Contributor III

From the connector manufacturers reading I've done, a typical lifetime for a USB connector is 1500 cycles. From connectors I've personally seen, there are a couple of failure modes. One is that leaf springs get fatigued and bend back. You can try pulling them into place, but the metal is weak and they just bend again. The other thing is the gold wears off the springs, resulting in a less reliable connection.

The simple solution is a hot-air station to pull off the connector and solder down a new one. But as you say, for only $13 it's also possible to simply replace the board.

Another option is to use a throw-away USB extension cable, and plug in and out of the extension cable instead of plugging in and out of the board. When the connector on the end of the extension cable is done, replace the cable. That assumes you can buy extension cables for significantly less than $13.

0 Kudos