Missing support for Kinetis E series in KDS 3.0.0 with KSDK 1.2.0

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing support for Kinetis E series in KDS 3.0.0 with KSDK 1.2.0

andy63
Contributor II

I have downloaded and installed the current version of KDS 3.0.0 and the according KSDK 1.2.0. After a few trials I wanted to setup a new project for the FRDM-KE06Z board as I did using KDS 2.0.0 with KSDK 1.1.0. I'm wondering about the missing of all members of the Kinetis K series in processor expert. In the previous version there was a number of MKE0xx and SKEAZxx devices available, see attached screen shot.

Why is the support for the Kinetis E series missing in KDS 3.0.0 + KSDK 1.2.0?

Do I have to move to another tool chain to continue development for Kinetis E series products?

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
3 Replies

Jorge_Gonzalez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello andy63:

Not all Kinetis parts are supported by KSDK, as in this case Kinetis E is not supported. You can check the list of supported devices in the KSDK v1.2 release notes, Chapter 4 Supported Development Systems.

http://cache.freescale.com/files/soft_dev_tools/doc/support_info/KSDK120RN.pdf

But you can still use KE06 with KDS. Just create a new project (File -> New -> Kinetis Project) and select your KE06 device, then you can choose between using or not Processor Expert.

I hope this helps.

Regards!,
Jorge Gonzalez

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

andy63
Contributor II

Hello Jorge Gonzales,

thanks for the quick reply. But unfortunately this does not work for me.

Trying to generate a new project with the KE06Zxx device is not possible for me.

There is an error message

"Processor MKE06Z128xxx4 is not supported by selected SDK 1.2.0"

- see upper part of the attached screen shot.

The buttons "Next ->" and "Finish" are greyed/disabled.

So it is not possible to generate a new project with Kinetis E series devices even without using processor expert.

May be I'm doing something wrong, please give me a hint to do it in the right way to make it work.

I agree that the Kinetis E series is not listed in "Chapter 4 Supported Developemnt Systems", but remembering what was supported in KSDK 1.1.0 and reading "Chapter 2 What is New" there should be a statement about the devices/families which are no more supported to be honest, isn't it?

Actually I have two problems.

The first one is a technical problem, see above. This can be solved any way, may be it will take some time.

The second one is much harder for me. Which tool chain should be used for development projects based on the Kinetis E series to be future proof. Six month ago we decided to go with the KDS for it, but today we have to review this decision very careful. Do you have any information about the Freescale product strategy regarding tool support for the Kinetis E series?

Kind regards,

Andreas Strobach

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Andreas,

as Jorge pointed out: the KE parts are not yet supported by the Kinetis SDK, so you need to select 'None', then you can create a bare (no Processor Expert) or Processor Expert project for it:

pastedImage_0.png

About support for the E family in the Kinetis SDK: this is very much a priority call, as devices are added from one SDK release to another. I don't know when the E family will be added, but I propose that this question gets asked in the Kinetis SDK community?

I hope this helps,

Erich

0 Kudos