How do you build projects with makefiles?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you build projects with makefiles?

dave408
Senior Contributor II

I'm embarrassed to admit that throughout my entire professional career, I have only used development tools that at least offer a concept of a "project" or "solution", like Visual Studio and Eclipse.  My experience with KDS has been no different.  I add projects to a workspace and build from there.

We are now in a situation where automated builds are getting to be more and more painful, because we cannot rely on a committed .metadata folder to open a workspace on different machines and build the projects.  I have now deleted the .metadata folder from SVN because it serves no useful purpose.

Erich Styger has recommended that I use makefiles.  I could not find the thread I had participated in where he suggested that, so I was forced to create a new question.  And my question is, "what should I do next"?

When I build my projects in KDS, a makefile is generated automatically.  I figured that I could just save this to SVN and use it to kick off my builds.  But first, I wanted to make the project in place.  I did this by opening a command prompt at that debug folder, and then invoking make.  However, when I do that, it tries to look for files in the KDS folder, rather than in the project folder I had invoked make from.

Are there any useful switches that I can use with make to get more info?  I tried using "make all", since "all" was the only label that I could see in the makefile.  It doesn't bother compiling anything, and instead starts at the linking step, which of course fails because it can't find the object files it needs.

Is there an easy way for noobs to create makefiles based on an existing KDS project?

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

I recommend you have a look on Erich's article:

Make my Make with Eclipse and MCU10 | MCU on Eclipse

this method works perfect on my side for managing my own make.

The article is based on Codewarrior, but I think the method should also work for KDS.

can this help you?

Have a great day,
Jennie Zhang

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

dave408
Senior Contributor II

Thank you, Jennie.  I will give this a try hopefully by next week and will mark your answer as correct if I can make it work (pun intended).

0 Kudos