Fatal error while installing FreeMaster lite on Ubuntu 20.04

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fatal error while installing FreeMaster lite on Ubuntu 20.04

Haitham_Ismail
Contributor III

I have been trying to install FreeMaster Lite on Ubuntu 20.04 and the installation fails and rolls back the changes every time. I am following the guide in this link:
" https://community.nxp.com/t5/FreeMASTER-Knowledge-Base/FreeMASTER-3-0-Installation-Guide/ta-p/110150... "

I attached below an installation log. It indicates a fatal error with Java so I reinstalled JRE but that did not help.

I really appreciate any help you can provide.

0 Kudos
18 Replies

iulian_stan
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi @Haitham_Ismail,

According to the attached log the error if thrown during license activation. But the failure happens outside the JVM - inside a license library:

# Problematic frame:
# C  [libcll_app_libFNP.so+0x854fd2]

I did a quick check on my side on a Ubuntu 20.04.4 LTS and had no issue installing it.

One possible cause could be a missing dependency, so I ran ldd on `libcll_app_libFNP.so` and got the following output: 

linux-vdso.so.1 (0x00007ffc5e3f4000)
libpthread.so.0 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0 (0x00007f231f5f0000)
libm.so.6 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libm.so.6 (0x00007f231f4a1000)
libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgcc_s.so.1 (0x00007f231f486000)
libc.so.6 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6 (0x00007f231f294000)
libdl.so.2 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdl.so.2 (0x00007f231f28e000)
/lib64/ld-lsb-x86-64.so.3 => /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (0x00007f2320393000)

Could you check if these exist on your machine.

0 Kudos

Haitham_Ismail
Contributor III

Sorry for the late reply @iulian_stan .

I checked the mentioned libraries using this command:
" ldconfig -p | grep [shared library name] "

I found all except "linux-vdso.so.1" and "ld-lsb-x86-64.so.3"; however, as mentioned in your reply "ld-lsb-x86-64.so.3" is => /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 which is installed. Also, I found the files of the vdso virtual library in "/lib/modules/5.14.0-1045-oem/vdso".

I hope this provides some helpful information, thanks again.

0 Kudos

iulian_stan
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi @Haitham_Ismail,

I did an install on a clean Ubuntu 20.04 but could not reproduce the issue.

Could you:

• check the integrity of FreeMASTER installer (i attached the md5 checksum).
  • attach the logs generated by your system, from your log these are /tmp/install.dir.36626/core.37524 and /tmp/install.dir.36626/hs_err_pid37524.log.

And one more thing to make sure the my understanding is right regarding the step when installation fails - it rolls back immediately after you input the activation code, correct ?

0 Kudos

Haitham_Ismail
Contributor III

Hi @iulian_stan,

First to answer your question, yes the installer rolls back immediately after using the activation key. 

As for the file integrity, I used the checksum you provided, and the result was ok. I attached the logs in the /temp/install.dir....

Thanks again

P.S.: this is the output of "java -version" 

openjdk version "11.0.15" 2022-04-19
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 11.0.15+10-Ubuntu-0ubuntu0.20.04.1)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 11.0.15+10-Ubuntu-0ubuntu0.20.04.1, mixed mode, sharing)

0 Kudos

iulian_stan
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi @Haitham_Ismail

It's the same Java version on my side and according to attached log files the OS version matches as well. Unfortunately, I did not find any details that could point to the issue.

One thing I noticed, is that there were 2 different failures - one happened during license verification, and another one - during activation. FreeMASTER logs show only the later one.

I attached an archive with a jar (license.jar) and libraries (cll folder) used during license verification and would like to ask you to run those command manually to see how they behave.

# list activated products
java -Djava.library.path=./cll -jar license.jar list
# verify activation status
java -Djava.library.path=./cll -jar license.jar verify -prod FreeMASTER_Lite_1.1.RTM -feature Activated -version 1.1
# activate license with GUI prompt
java -Djava.library.path=./cll -jar license.jar activateUI
# activate from cmd
java -Djava.library.path=./cll -jar license.jar activate -actid YOUR_ACTIVATION_CODE

0 Kudos

Haitham_Ismail
Contributor III

Hello @iulian_stan,

Thanks for your efforts,

All the listed commands caused errors in the same frame as before:

=> "hs_err_pid18887.log"

java -Djava.library.path=./cll -jar license.jar verify -prod FreeMASTER_Lite_1.1.RTM -feature Activated -version 1.1

=> "hs_err_pid19034.log"

java -Djava.library.path=./cll -jar license.jar activateUI

=> "hs_err_pid19121.log"

java -Djava.library.path=./cll -jar license.jar activate -actid YOUR_ACTIVATION_CODE

=> "hs_err_pid19376.log"

0 Kudos

iulian_stan
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Do you have any other NXP product requiring activation (ex: S32DS) installed on your machine ? My toughs here - you could use .so files from that product in case it was installed successfully.

A workaround is installing FreeMASTER in a Virtual Machine to not experiment with your main system.

0 Kudos

Haitham_Ismail
Contributor III

Hi @iulian_stan,

No this is the only product. I installed FreeMASTER on a Virtual Machine and it worked, but performance is critical in my case, so I would like to fix the problem and run it on my device if possible.

0 Kudos

iulian_stan
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi @Haitham_Ismail,

Could you check updated libraries (archive attached).

0 Kudos

Haitham_Ismail
Contributor III

Hello @iulian_stan ,

I checked with the new license file. An error occurred on the first command (please check the attached log).

The second commands does not crash but stalls indefinitely.

On the third command, after using the activation key, if I choose "online" it stalls indefinitely, otherwise, if I use offline I get a pop-up to save the activation request. Even after choosing a directory, I cannot see the request.xml file, then the command stalls and nothing happens.

On the 4th command, nothing happens and it stalls indefinitely.

Thanks for your time.

0 Kudos

iulian_stan
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi @Haitham_Ismail,

One more thing to try is updating the licensing service. The attached archive contains the shell script that installs a newer version.

0 Kudos

Haitham_Ismail
Contributor III

Hello @iulian_stan ,

Could you please elaborate on how to update the service?

I ran the script before and during the installation and had the same output in the terminal. I checked the file indicated in the terminal output and it actually exists.

The output in the terminal:

```

sudo bash install_fnp.sh

Checking for active FNP Licensing Service Daemon...
install_fnp.sh: line 161: /usr/local/share/FNP/service64/11.18.2/FNPLicensingService: No such file or directory
Need to restart FNP Licensing Service Daemon
install_fnp.sh: line 184: /usr/local/share/FNP/service64/11.18.2/FNPLicensingService: No such file or directory
FNP Licensing Service Daemon checks complete

Checking for SELinux
SELinux checks complete

Checking LSB compatibility...
*** WARNING: 64-bit LSB packages not installed
LSB compatibility checks complete

Installing licensing service from ./FNPLicensingService/FNPLicensingService to /usr/local/share/FNP/service64/11.18.2

Checking system for trusted storage area...
Configuring for Linux, Trusted Storage path /usr/local/share/macrovision/storage...
/usr/local/share/macrovision/storage already exists...
Setting permissions on /usr/local/share/macrovision/storage...
Permissions set...

Checking system for Replicated Anchor area...
Configuring Replicated Anchor area...
Replicated Anchor area already exists...
Setting permissions on Replicated Anchor area...
Replicated Anchor area permissions set...
Configuring Temporary area...
Temporary area already exists...
Setting permissions on Temporary area...
Temporary area permissions set...
Setting FUSE configuration
install_fnp.sh: line 471: /usr/local/share/FNP/service64/11.18.2/FNPLicensingService: No such file or directory

Starting FNPLicensingService daemon as user <username>
sudo: unable to execute /usr/local/share/FNP/service64/11.18.2/FNPLicensingService: No such file or directory
Checking FNPLicensingService is running
No PID file for FNPLicensingService

```

0 Kudos

iulian_stan
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi @Haitham_Ismail ,

There are no specific requirements. Just keep the file structure unchanged (the script expects the binary o be next to it inside 'FNPLicensingService') and should be executed as admin (just like you did).

According to your logs I can see 2 issues:

1. It cannot find x64 LSB (`ld-linux-x86-64.so`)
  2. It cannot execute `FNPLicensingService`, but considering that you can see this file it may be related to the first issue

Could you check if you have `ld-linux-x86-64.so`. In this context I have another question - are you running it on a x86 CPU ?

0 Kudos

Haitham_Ismail
Contributor III

Hi @iulian_stan,

There is a file called 'ld-linux-x86-64.so.2' inside /lib64 directory. As for the CPU, I have "11th Gen Intel® Core™ i5-1135G7" it is a 64-bit processor.

Thanks for your efforts.

0 Kudos

iulian_stan
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

In this case, could you try running the script with `--nolsb` option:

sudo sh ./install_fnp.sh --nolsb
0 Kudos

Haitham_Ismail
Contributor III

Hello @iulian_stan,

After using the command you provided, I got in the terminal that the daemon activated and the FNPLicensingService is running (no errors). However, when I ran the installation again an error similar to before occurred. Please check the attached log file.

Thank you.

0 Kudos

iulian_stan
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

What I meant was to test latest libraries (I shared in the post before) with latest service. FreeMASTER installer reinstalls old service and old libraries and I cannot tell which service will be used for sure, but I would say - the latest installed one.

So here are the steps:

1. Install FNP service: 

sudo sh install_fnp.sh

* optionally you can clean the older one:

# kill the service
/usr/local/share/FNP/service64/11.13.0/FNPLicensingService -k
# remove service from disk
rm -rf /usr/local/share/FNP/service64/11.13.0

2. Run one of the activation commands

If this does not help, I'm afraid I won't be able to further investigate unless I can reproduce it on my side. And at this point I don't how can I do it.

0 Kudos

iulian_stan
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Seems you have all the dependencies. I will try to try to install it on a clean Ubuntu 20.04 and see if I can reproduce it in that case.

0 Kudos