cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MC68340 and Serial Dataflash via SPI

loveoflife
Contributor I
Hello,

Lucky I found out this forum, but I don't know whether FreeScale have some relation to Motorola or not? If yes, may be I found the correct place for my problem. ( I am so newbie to Programming processor so If there is something I am incorrect, please sympathy with me).

I need to connect Serial DataFlash to a Motorola MC68340 system (this already is completed product so I don't have chance to change to MCU), and It seem very complicated to me because MC68340 doesn't support SPI. Now I need to make a software SPI (Bit-bang). But some days pass, It haven't worked out yet.

To connect Motorola to SS,SCK,MOSI of Dataflash, I use flip-flop 74hc374 and to connect Motorola to MISO of DataFlash, I use Buffer 74hc244 as following. (Currently, this product use 374 for output and 244 for input, as far as I understand, so I must continue to use these chips to interface.)
_______ __         _______
| moto D0|  ->     |                | ->MOSI
| rola   D1|  ->     |74hc374  | ->SS
|_____ D2| ->     |________| ->CLK

_______ _      ________
| moto D0|   <-|                |<-MISO
| rola        |      |74hc244  |
|_______|       |________|

( What a pity that today I don't bring here my programming source). I am so tired until now It doesn't work. Could anyone tell me whether this hardware can work out? Should I continue with this connections? Could anyone give me some hint for programming bit-bang with this connection because I am so newbie to Motorola.

Any help is highly appreciated.
Many thanks and best regards.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

imajeff
Contributor III
P.S. I forgot to say that you should ask in this forum instead:
http://forums.freescale.com/freescale/board?board.id=CFCOMM

I looked up your part on Freescale:
http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=MC68340&;nodeId=0162468rH3YTLC61650795

Looks like a fine product from the 68K/ColdFire family. I've never used it, but bit-banging should be fine as long as you know what you need it to do. I hope the link above gets you started as it has all the docs you would need.

If you run into a more specific problem, ask and more people are likely answer.

I might have more information if I knew the specific SPI protocol of the Dataflash.

Message Edited by imajeff on 2007-01-2409:30 AM

0 Kudos

Alban
Senior Contributor II

Motorola spun off its semiconductor product sector and created a new company called Freescale Semiconductor a couple of years ago.

Therefore all the microcontrollers are now Freescale and Motorola does not own Freescale.
You can find all the information, even from devices created before the separation, on www.freescale.com

Cheers,
Alban.
0 Kudos