MCF5271 Debugging Problems in CodeWarrior 10.6

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MCF5271 Debugging Problems in CodeWarrior 10.6

keithfowler
Contributor I

I've recently switched to cw10.6 and am experiencing problems debugging my projects using the PE Micro Cyclone Max.

The project and debug configurations were imported from a previous stable 10.2 build, and compiles just fine in 10.6.

However, now when I launch a debug session the code is slow to download to the target and I receive the following warning:

Starting 3rd party flash programming...

ERR: Warning: Programming algorithm not found for this device.

Once the code eventually loads, I get a further warning regarding breakpoints:

"Unable to set all the breakpoints requested. Some breakpoints may be disabled and will not stop the processor"

I only have two breakpoints defined, and just one active. I believe the MCF5271 uses software breakpoints, so I should be unlimited.

In addition, I often loose my debug context and control of the target while debugging.

I noticed that the Cyclone Max firmware was updated from 7.80 to 7.84 when I 1st ran a CW10.6 debug session.

Are there any recommendations to fix these debug problems in CW10.6?

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

Carlos_Mendoza
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Keith,

I would recommend you to create a new bareboard project on CodeWarrior 10.6 selecting the corresponding connection and try debugging it, if it works then you can compare the debug configurations of the new project with the configurations in your imported project and see if some information is missing.

Regarding the warning you get about breakpoints, here is a post from my colleague Erich Styger that might be helpful for you:

http://mcuoneclipse.com/2012/07/29/software-and-hardware-breakpoints/

Best Regards!
Carlos

0 Kudos

keithfowler
Contributor I

Thanks for you help on this, Carlos.

We suspect now that the inability to use software debugging may have to do with our use of MQX 3.8 with CodeWarrior 10.6

We have significant modifications to MQX 3.8 which makes the switch to MQX 4.0 (supported in CW10.6) problematic but we now know that the code is flashed to our target AND we execute from RAM during each debug session. It appears that CW 10.6 may use an unhandled vector exception to implement software breakpoints which is incompatible or not supported by our MQX implementation. I'll post more on this as we get feedback from FreeScale.

Great link on the various types of breakpoints, my colleagues really appreciated the background.

Cheers,

Keith

0 Kudos

keithfowler
Contributor I

This issue is being analyzed by the Freescale apps team under thread MQX 3.8 Compatibility with CodeWarrior 10.6 - Reliable Controls,

submitted by our FAE and including a simple example demonstrating the problem.

0 Kudos

Carlos_Mendoza
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Keith,

Thanks for keeping us updated with the progress on this problem.

Best regards!

Carlos

0 Kudos