Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to connect jtag on mpc8308rdb

Jump to solution
startup
Contributor I

Hi,

I have bought mpc8308rdb board and also jtag usb based debugger.

But I am not able to find out which way should I connect the jtag .......because generally jtag port comes with one blocker

so that port can go into pins in one direction only but in my case this codewarrior jtag hasnt got any blocker. So if anyone can provide me some guidance related to my problem then it will be a great help. As I dont want to mix ground and TDO which may harm the emulator.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
ronco
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

You're right, it's not readily apparent just how to attach the USB TAP's 16-pin COP cable to the MPC8308-RDB but if you look carefully at that board you'll see a tiny triangle silk-screened on the board just to the right side of the COP connector.  That triangle indicates Pin 1, marked with a red stripe on the USB TAP's ribbon cable.  Fortunately, even if you had plugged this cable on backwards no damage would have occurred.  I hope this helps.

Regards,

Ron

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ronco
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

You're right, it's not readily apparent just how to attach the USB TAP's 16-pin COP cable to the MPC8308-RDB but if you look carefully at that board you'll see a tiny triangle silk-screened on the board just to the right side of the COP connector.  That triangle indicates Pin 1, marked with a red stripe on the USB TAP's ribbon cable.  Fortunately, even if you had plugged this cable on backwards no damage would have occurred.  I hope this helps.

Regards,

Ron

0 Kudos
startup
Contributor I

Thanks for reply.

I have connected the way you told it to do. But when I run the codewarrior I am getting problem

"CCSProtocolPlugin : Failed to correctly configure the JTAG chain [Cable disconnected]"

I am still searching the cause of this problem.......if anyone can help in this regard then it would be great help.....

0 Kudos
startup
Contributor I

The reason for above stated problem was non availability of mpc8308 supporting files. I downloaded the patch and selected mpc8308 related files then it started working.

0 Kudos
RickBall
Contributor II

I have a MPC8308RDB board also, and I'm trying to connect via JTAG to program flash.  What I'm finding is that with an older, silver (metal) case USB-TAP, it connects fine, but with the newer, black-plastic version of the USB-TAP (same vendor/product ID, according to USB), it fails (the log says 'Core not responding').

Which kind of USB-TAP did you manage to get working?

0 Kudos
startup
Contributor I

I am using same black plastic case probe provided by freescale and its working fine.

Core not supported generally come when ur codewarrior is not updated properly or u r not selecting proper files.

0 Kudos
RickBall
Contributor II

I've run the CW updater, and it said it was installing the patch for 8308 - is there something else I need to do?  I'm using the xml and cfg files that were in the 8308 BSP under 'help/software/CW_debug' (except that I had to change the target from 8315 to 8308), and trying to use the 'tools->flash programmer' menu command, then trying the simplest thing, 'erase check'.

One thing I noticed in the log files (obtained by setting the 'Enable Logging' option on the preferences for the USBTAP) is that the failing unit returns a 'count' of 1 one step BEFORE the working unit (see attached screenshot).  It looks like when the working unit takes the next step, it sets 'config_string = utap:0', which the failing unit never does (and since this is the type of connection I'm trying to make, it seems important).

0 Kudos