USBDM - Version 4.7 (JB16/JS16/JMxx Hardware Versions)

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USBDM - Version 4.7 (JB16/JS16/JMxx Hardware Versions)

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear All,

USBDM has been updated to V4.7.  This version adds a windows installer which should make installation a bit more straightforward.

This version has been available for a little while but has had some teething problems mostly related to the new installer.  I believe the currently posted version is stable.

Please post any queries on this version in this thread,

Information available at:  http://usbdm.sourceforge.net/

bye

Notes

Please note that these design are different from the Freescale OSBDM-JM60 design which was proceeding independently while I was doing the above designs.

Revision History

• V4.7 (October 2011) -
    • Improved support for devices in low power modes (Eclipse).
    • Improved support for secured devices (Eclipse).
    • BDM interface speed control implemented for CFVx devices
    • Windows Installer
    • Updates for Eclipse Kinetis device name changes
    • Bug fixes
      • Devices incorrectly identified as secured
      • Failure to connect to device in low power modes
      • Corrections to CFVx connection sequences
      • Corrections to USB CDC Driver installation
      • Bootloader reliability improved
  • V4.6 (June 2011) -
    • Support for Kinetis Targets in Codewarrior V10.1 (Eclipse, USBDM/CF only)
    • Improvements to USB error checking (JMxx/JS16 only)
    • TCL scripting
  • V4.5 (February 2011) -
    • Support for Codesourcery Lite - Coldfire Vx
    • Support for Coldfire Flasher (CFFlasher) Coldfire V2,3,4 only
    • Support for Codewarrior Eclipse 10.1
    • Flash buffer is now dynamically sized in Flash programmers
    • Added fix for Legacy Codewarrior tools missing TBDML/OSBDM targets
  • V4.4 (January 2011) -
    • Less intrusive auto speed detection for targets without sync
    • Unlocking improved for targets using slow external clocks
    • Codewarrior V10 New Project Wizard now includes USBDM
    • Programming support for HCS12/HCS08 targets with EEPROM
    • Programming support for CFV1 target with multiple Flash (Dual Flash)
    • Use of XML based device files (needed for above two items)
    • Automatic unsecure for Legacy HCS12 targets
  • V4.3 (December 2010) -
    • Bug fixes (DSC Speed)
    • Improved Codewarrior V10 integration
    • Serial interface on JS16 versions (supported in JMxx but no example implementation)
  • V4.0 (September 2010) - Significant changes in some areas - Please read carefully
    • Support for Linux (Eclipse version of Codewarrior only)
      Installation is still somewhat of a challenge!
    • Support for Linux and Windows7 64-bit (Eclipse version of Codewarrior only)
      To support the 64-bit version of Windows it has been necessary to update to using libusb-V1 drivers. For consistency this is also done on Linux. As part of this process the VID/PID for the hardware (BDM) has been changed. This will allow the co-existence of Freescale's OSBDM-JM60 hardware while using a new driver for USBDM. Formerly both these BDMs used the same VID/PID and changes to the driver would not be possible.
    • Programming utilities for RS08, HCS08 and CFV1 are now (officially) included.
    • Support for MC56F800x (digital signal controllers) added. This is only available on USBDM_CF BDMs and the Axiom MC56F8006 Demoboard.
    • Minor bug fixes (installation script)
    • The addition of DSC support has pushed the firmware size to greater than 16K on the USBDM_JMxx-CF version. This means that MC9S08JM32/60 chip must be used.
    • Changed to wxWidgets for common GUI code on Windows and Linux
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
10 Replies

mculater
Contributor III

Hi pgo,

Because S12XEP and S12XS devices are not defined in the hcs12_devices.xml file used by your HCS12_programmer.exe utility, I have tried to add them myself, unsuccessfully.  They show up in the drop-down list of the programmer GUI, but when I try to burn a file into flash, I get an error message of the form: "Programming of the target flash failed!".  These MCU variants have emulated EEPROM instead of EEPROM, so I'm wondering if this is a clue, and exactly what parameters are needed in the xml file.  Do you have a newer xml file that includes these devices, or can you give some hints on how to update the file correctly?

Carl

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear Carl,

Unfortunatelty the S12XEP devices have a very different Flash to the HCS12 devices supported by USBDM.  Because of this it is not as simple as changing the XML files.  It is necessary to write flash programming code etc. for downloading to the device.

I will look at this when I get a chance but I expect it would be a while.

Sorry.

0 Kudos

mculater
Contributor III

Thanks for your quick reply!

The Freescale Serial Monitor (ref. AN2548) has already been successfully modified to implement the flash erase and programming of XEP and XS devices, and the USBDM can be used in combination with HiWave debugger to burn the modified serial monitor into flash.  So the erasing and programming algorithms must already be part of the debugger (or perhaps they are issued to the target as BDM commands?).  So perhaps it will not be so difficult to implement it.  The serial monitor source can be found here:

http://support.technologicalarts.ca/docs/Adapt9S12X/

Carl

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear Carl,

The problem isn't really that writing the programming code is difficult but that the HCS12 programmer that I have written only supports a single algorithm.  Some of the other programmers (ARM, Coldfire) use a more general approach that allows adding algorithms for other chips more easily.  This allowed the Coldefire+ chips to be added easily to the CFV1 programmer.

I am (slowly) updating the HCS12 & HCS08 programmers to a similar approach but it won't be complete for a while.

This is the main hurdle.

bye

0 Kudos

mculater
Contributor III

OK, I understand now--  thanks!

Carl

0 Kudos

RogerSchaefer
Contributor III

Hello,

I found a problem with USBDM Ver 4.7 programming the 9SQE8.  I don't use that chip too much but I do have five programs that have loaded & worked fine with eariler versions of USBDM.  One of these programs is small, about 1K, and it loaded OK with Ver 4.7 but the other four ranged from 5K to 7.5K and they failed to load. 

I had to reload my USBDM with Ver 4.5 then it worked fine.

I did try a few other chips with Ver 4.7 without any problems so I think it is limited to the MC9S08QE8

Roger

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear Roger,

I did some quick checks on a QE8 but was unable to get it to missbehave.  Could you provide a S19 file that shows the problem and I will do a more thorough test.

Thanks

0 Kudos

Mickey
Contributor III

hi pgo

I also encountered the same problem, can not debug in more than about 4K program in codewarrior v10.1

chip: mc9s08qg8

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear Mickey & Roger,

I have confirmed the problems you have been having but I have not tried to determine the cause.

I am currently working on V4.8 which has some changes in how the programming is done and has avoided whatever the problem was. It is awkward to restore the previous version to track it down.  I would prefer to continue with V4.8 and do a more thorough testing of this version which is well advanced.

I hope this won't cause too much of a problem.  I expect to have the next version available in about a week if no problems come up in testing.

bye

0 Kudos

RogerSchaefer
Contributor III

Dear pgo,

OK see attached

It's a updated version of:

http://www.rasmicro.com/Low_Power_Temp_Sensor.htm

Roger

0 Kudos